AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had to fairly minor problems with my Infocus 5700. The most obvious problem was a vibrational noise which sounded like the fan was clipping a wire. The noise was of a lower pitch than the usual fan noise of DLP projectors and when I placed myhand on the chassis I could feel excessive vibration. It did not impact the picture quality of the 5700 which, to my eyes, was spectacular particularly via the DVi connection.

The second problem was related to the first set of component inputs, which gace a pctura that was waaay to dark at teh dafault settings. I calibrated the picture with a test pattern and I had to set brightness and 74 to achieve the correct black level. Even then the picture was too flat even after bumping up cpntrast tinto the 60s. The second set of component video inputs calibrated exactly at the default setting of 50 and gave a much more satisfactory image.

I could have lived with both problems. The noise while different than the usual higher pitched whine was only slightly more bothersome, and I only need one set of component inputs anyhow. However, I figured for almost 4K I should not have to compromise and I was worried that the noise was a precursor for a more serious failure.

So I contacted Infocus for a hot swap out. This involves them overnighting you a repacement unit. They bill your credit card MSRP, plus sales tax. They do not charge for shipping. You then have to ship your old unit back (and pay for that shippinga nd insurance) and when they receive the unit they credit back your card the entire charge.

I hooked the replacement up and there are no obvious problems with this unit. Fan noise is the usual high pitch whine, only noticeable on the very quietest passages of a movie. The first set of the component inputs calibrate just fine, although I haven't tried the second set.

I'll be shipping out my old unit tonight, and assuming the shipping & insurances charges are around $100 or so, I'd say it was well worth it.

Oh, Infocus's service department were a real pleasure to beal with, once I got tired of my dealer trying to handle things and contacted them directly myself.

Kurt

· Registered
412 Posts
I'm glad to hear of your good experience... but I am a little concerned, because the high pitch whine of the color wheel is one of the reasons I want to send mine back!

It started making the noise a few weeks after I got it and as far as I'm concerned I shouldn't have to live with it... I find it very distracting...

· Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well none of these digital projectors are completely quiet. The combination of fan and color wheel means that in normal instalations some noise will make an intrusion.

The issue is whether your current unit is abnormally loud. Before I swapped my unit out I had my dealer come and listen and he agreed with me that something was up. I measure the noise level with my Radio Shack analog sound-level meter. Putting the meter right up against the air intake gave a reading of about 70dB on one of the weighting setting (can't remember if it was "A" or "C". It was considerably lower using the other weighting. I'll have to repeat the exercise for the new unit and see what measurement I can get.

I would advise that you go into a local dealer and have a listen to his unit to determine if the noise level is substantially less than your current unit. If not, you may well be better served purchasing a hush box rather than trying to exchange your unit.

With my new unit, the noise threshold is both lower and more constant, but I would still prefer if it generated less noise. It is acceptable for now but later on I probably will add a hush-box. Obviously, we're all aiming for maximum performance within our given budgets.

Kurt

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.