AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the easiest way to take a 120gig drive from a working utv and put it in a different one.

My current UTV is working except one tuner is gone so i ordered another refurbished from the factory. I want to take my 120 gig out and put it in the new unit without upgrading to the 3.7 software.

I've read alot and understand that I can make an image of the 120gig 3.5 software then when I put the 120 gig in the new unit, I let it zero out the drive and password then copy the image over ( I know there are more details that I left out).

Here is my Question.

Is there a easier way to do this. Maybe a way to just reset the password so I can just plug in my old 120 gig into the the new refurbed unit?

Thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm guessing that you want to keep your recorded programming? If so, then it's my understanding that the only way to do this is the process that you mentioned.

If you don't care about your programming, just plug it in your new UTV and let it dial out and download the software.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

Actually its not the programming I want to keep, its just the V3.5 software I want to keep. If I put in the old drive into the new utv then it will dial out and install the V3.7 software. This software is undisirable to some users as it forces you to get a new version of card from Directv. Some people would rather not do that.

Thanks again

·
Registered
76 Posts
From what I've read in other threads and forums, DirecTV is no longer activating HU cards anyway, so when you call up to activate it, they will just send you a P4...and unless they're pirating, there's no reason not to get 3.7.

That being said, I am not aware of any utility other than MHD3 that has the ability to unlock the security settings without formatting.

Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.