AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a Sony 65" HD ready set and the Toshiba DST3000 STB. When watching satellite on the set (at 1080i) the Sony set "loses sync" or goes black for three seconds with the sound still going whenever there are bright flashes,explosions, or quick cuts. I have had new capacitors soldered onto my A-board in my set to no avail and have actually had to get 3 new A boards as others have been ruined by poor soldering jobs or bad directions from Sony (this is a Sony qualified technician doing all this) Now the Sony qualified service center wants to take the WHOLE SET into their shop and await further directions from Sony technicians. THIS ALL SUCKS as my TV has been down a lot and I have to friggin get off work every time the technician needs to come over (which has been like 5-10 times) ANYWAY, Sony is basically telling me that in their warranty policy it says that "Sony does not guarantee full compatibilty with external devices" and telling me that and that I should buy their SATHD100 as it is definitely compatible...Great. So I am regretfully selling my Tosh box and am gonna buy the SAT100 at a local store here called Ken Kranes. Are the newer SAT100 boxes still plagued with sync issues that I have so often read about here at the forum? I don't really care about fan noise as I already have a refrigerator and computer in the same room creating the same amount of noise. Anyone want a Tosh box for 650?

------------------

Kent Oberlin
www.koberlinstudios.com

for HT pics!

·
Registered
283 Posts
I SERIOUSLY doubt its the STB. It sounds like there is something wrong with the TV. Why doesnt Sony Zreplace it for you ?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Sounds like you've been too easy on Sony. I would insist on a new TV and mention lemon laws, time missed from work, days without a TV, etc. as reasons for replacement. Now they want you to "buy" their STB?? You'd think they would loan you one for testing purposes. Sheesh, they sure have huge gonads.

Terry

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Agree with customer service comments above, but going to that STB seems like a step backwards if you want Advanced Programming Guide and other features.

If you do swap out, I would do a trial on the Sony before selling the Tosh. Also interested in comparisons if you do switch.

Tim

·
Registered
461 Posts
This is why I hate Sony. I have their Sat. Rec. it also makes popping nioses when I turn the channels, and it sounds awful, like listening through a tin cup.

[This message has been edited by Michael4JBL (edited 07-25-2001).]

·
Registered
228 Posts
for the same logic, do you need to buy a sony VCR, a Sony DVD player, a Sony reciever, and Sony speakers ? I think you are too easy on Sony.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I have let the Sony Qualified service center here in Culver City handle talking with the Sony techs (Ashton Electronics---anyone use em?). Regarding getting a new TV set in exchange I have no idea who to talk to. It is extremely difficult to get supervisors on the phone at Sony as you wait like 40 mins to get anyone then they try to help you and go through all the same BS you have already discussed with someone else like 500 times. It is very discouraging EVERY TIME I CALL. Does anyone have any direct numbers to someone at Sony that I could possibly work this out with?

Ashton Electronics came and took the TV set this morning and I couldn't watch as they hoisted it around and rolled it to their truck...I wanted to hurl. This is their final attempt and will take 7 to 10 business days. I am now using my old 27"er and BOY...it's tough

Sony has assured Ashton Electronics that the new and FOURTH A-board they will be sending them SHOULD have the necessary capacitors that will take care of my problem..

To top things off I think Sony has stopped making the 65" so I would be outta luck on an exchange. It is so discouraging that I have come to the point where I either want my damn money back or any TV that works. If I do get my money back I am gonna drop out of the HD consumer world and sit back and wait till things smooth out and prices drop...

------------------

Kent Oberlin
www.koberlinstudios.com

for HT pics!

·
Registered
277 Posts
I don't thinks it's your STB. I was in a high end store about 3-5 mnths back when that set first appeared in my area. I was oohing and ahing over the set and he told me that although the set looked good (cabinet, finish) it was the worst one of the three lines they carried at holding onto a signal. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

To Infinity and Beyond!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi,

I have the same problem with mine. I just bought the Toshiba DST-3000 and have the 57XBR. Same thing happens. Sony assured me that the problem would be fixed with thier HD100. I don't believe them! I will give it a try though. Luckily I have nothing to lose. I can still return the DST-3000 to Best Buy. Had it less than a week. the new HD100 will be here friday.

I'll let you know what happens.

Good luck

Kevin

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kevin,

Cool. Please post your results! I cannot return my DST3000 and cannot afford the hd100 at the moment. Good luck!

------------------

Kent Oberlin
www.koberlinstudios.com

for HT pics!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I had the EXACT same problem with my DST3000 and Sony 61hs10. I called Sony, they send out a tech to replace those capacitors. He came out and replaced them and said my set already had the new ones on it anyway. So the problem wasn't fixed. I sent back the DST3000, which I totally loved! Bought the stupid HD100, it had very very poor OTA reception compaired to the DST and terrible lip sync problems. So I returned it. Does anyone know if the DST3000 works with any Sonys???? I want an STB bad, but refuse to buy another Sony product, even if it is fixed now....

·
Registered
750 Posts
I have a direct view Sony XBR450 and the Tosh DST-3000.

I have not noticed any of the dropouts or sync problems that you describe here. So, it sounds like this might be a Sony RPTV issue. But, I'll look out for this.

------------------

-Jason

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi all,

GOOD NEWS. The HD100 did the trick. I have had no dropouts since hooking the new receiver. As for the problems with the HD100 noted by many people on this forum, I have to disagree with them.

FAN Noise: You have to be kidding me. You can hardly hear it. I am a Pilot in the Air Force and have perfect hearing. Get tested every year. I can't even hear that thing more that five feet away with the room TOTALLY quiet.

PICTURE: Beats the crap out of the DST-3000. Nuf said.

SPEED: People have been complaining about the speed of the system when it comes to changing channels. This thing is fast!!! Beats my A-50, A-55, and the DST-3000 soundly.

Sure it would be nice to have the advanced program guide on it. But I will live with it.

NOTE: This model was manufactured 6/01. Sony may have fixed some problems reported by users.

If you can get a new one, I would DEFINATELY recommend it.

Thanks

Kevin

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Randybw1

I refuse to give up with Sony as I have invested so much. So I am gonna keep hammering at them until they either break and give me a new set or something or my money back.

However, I got my set back today (faster than I imagined) and it is up again. There are the two new capacitors on the A board. One fixed the "losing sync" problem and the other cap fixes the flagging and flickering that resulted from the first new cap (what a mess!)

HOWEVER, there is still flagging at the top of my screen and there seems to be a little "flickering" of colors. that is when there is a large amount of one color (like a shot of a blue sky for example) you can see the blue kinda flickering...like there is not enough power to handle so much blue. Tha flagging only happens at the top and you can REALLY see it when you are in the service mode looking at the convergence lines.

So my set no longer loses sync but as a result of that new capacitor now the set flags and flickers....AUAAAGH. Back to square one.

kc10kevin

Glad to hear you are up a running good again.

I am gonna stick with the Toshiba box as it seems to me to not be the problem at all.....its the Sony set. I ain't gonna drop another 700 for a box just because Sony says that is what will solve the problem.

------------------

Kent Oberlin www.koberlinstudios.com

for HT pics!

[This message has been edited by koberlin1 (edited 07-27-2001).]

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
As a 53xbr300 owner, this thread is a text book example of why folks need the extended warranty for HDTV sets.

I bought the Hughes STB 18 months after getting my set, and experienced "loss of synch" when the set displayed light-to-dark, and vice versa, scenes. Returned the STB after 1 week.

I have 2 1/2 years left on my extened warranty with the 3 strikes your out lemon clause. I cannot find my xbr300 warranty, but it seems odd that Sony's position is:

"Sony does not guarantee full compatibilty with

external devices"

Maybe that is stated in the warranty, dunno, but if it is not stated, then I see no reason why Sony would NOT fix it.

I suspect the Sony TV is the real culprit. The loss of synch happened on 4:3 xbr300s when playing 480p DVDs. And Sony fixed that problem.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
T-bone,

I DO have the 5 year extended warranty on the set and Sony has been trying to fix it...they just CANT (cuz they are slackers or just incapable of doing it?).

------------------

Kent Oberlin
www.koberlinstudios.com

for HT pics!

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Since everyone is complaining about Sony I will add my tale of woe. The worst part of my setup (includes Toshiba TW65X81, Dish 6000) is my Sony Receiver It is a 5.1 DD/DTS decoder. It is also supposed to switch composite video. However the composite video drops out every 15 minutes and you have to power the receiver off and on to clear it up. I have called the Sony 800 number several times and after waiting in line for 45 minutes I get a tech but by then the problem has come and gone so the tech says call back when the problem occurs again.

When the Dish 6000 had a problem (I believe shipping damage) and I called the Dish 800 number a replacement was FedEx-ed to me within 24 hours with a prepaid return lable. My Toshiba has performed flawlessly.

Rick

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.