AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After finally giving in after the latest price drop, we just got our D*TV HD Tivo in and it will be replacing a SD D*TV Tivo. I'm currently waiting on an installer to get back with me on the installation of a new dish for HD; however, when I got my locals late last year (NW Arkansas) they installed a second dish pointed to the S.E. compared to the original dish that was pointed more to the S.W.

With a two dish setup like this, would it be worth it to go ahead and swap in the HD TiVo and activate the HD package to see what stations I can get? I don't know for sure which satellites I'm receiving from, but if anyone has a similar setup any advice would be appreciated with apologies for the vague description of the dishes' orientation

I'm afraid with my schedule it may be a few weeks before I'll be able to get the new dish installed and would like to start getting a return on the investment in the HD receiver (i.e. show the wife it wasn't a waste of money :) )

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rheff
With a two dish setup like this, would it be worth it to go ahead and swap in the HD TiVo and activate the HD package to see what stations I can get?
You will get the stations you have now plus the HD ones that are on the 101 satellite.

Quote:
I don't know for sure which satellites I'm receiving from
With a pair of 18" dishes you are pointed at 101 and 72.5 .

Quote:
would like to start getting a return on the investment in the HD receiver
Then you should install an antenna for OTA HD. I haven't followed the state of digital TV in NW AR but I'm sure it's pretty difficult to receive with all of the mountains. You don't mention if you are in Ft. Smith or the Fayettville/Springdale/Rogers/Bentonville metroplex. I was a cable subscriber when I attended the UofA so I'm not sure how well an antenna works.

-Robert

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karyk
Don't forget to call the retention department and try to get a $250 retention credit.
Yeah, I've got my credits on file, when I call to activate they'll get applied to my account. I'm surprised they are still offering any credits, I imagine they've gotten a rush of calls since the Best Buy coupon ordeal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlj5242
You will get the stations you have now plus the HD ones that are on the 101 satellite.

With a pair of 18" dishes you are pointed at 101 72.5

... you should install an antenna for OTA HD. I haven't followed the state of digital TV in NW AR but I'm sure it's pretty difficult to receive with all of the mountains. You don't mention if you are in Ft. Smith or the Fayettville/Springdale/Rogers/Bentonville metroplex. I was a cable subscriber when I attended the UofA so I'm not sure how well an antenna works.

-Robert
Thanks for the links. It appears the only HD channels on the satellites I'm receiving are the distant feeds for CBS and NBC. I'll have to find out if we're able to receive those HD feeds

According to Antenna Web, we'll need a large powered outdoor antenna to receive local broadcasts OTA, but I'm going to attempt some simpler solutions before going all out on the antenna (especially if we can get the distant network feeds)

Thanks for your replies!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.