AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which sweet spot do you think is more important - the audio or the visual?

I am thinking of putting in a floor mounted CRT. I have the option of making the audio sweet spot in the second row, behind the projector. The problem is the viewing angle is only 24 degrees, way below SMPTE or THX standards.

The alternative is making the projector the sweet spot and sitting next to it. This moves the viewing angle to about 33 degrees, but the seat is not in the audio sweet spot.

Which would you choose?

Thanks,

Skip

·
Registered
645 Posts
Skip,

that's a real dilemma. How important is audio for you? If you like to listen to music or watch music DVDs you should sit in the sweet spot. Also, the audio sweet spot is usually much narrower than the video spot. Personally, I would go for the audio sweet spot unless the video position would be totally unacceptable. In your case you'd be further away which is better than too close to the screen. Besides, I think not sitting in the central axis of the screen would freak me out. You could increase your screen size so that the proportion gives you the desired angle from the audio sweet spot. Or you could try to mount the projector on the ceiling. I mean, after all, a hometheater is there to give you the optimal conditions that you almost never get in a real theater. So I would go to great lengths in order to get the projector out of the way and not make any compromise. You are aware of the dilemma and that means it will probably bug you everytime you use the theater. That's not a good premise. You should be happy everytime you use it. And if you can work it out, you'll even be proud.

Good luck,

Till

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ceiling is only 7'4", thus the need for a floor mount. The theater will not be used for music. My concern about the narrow field of view is I may lose the total immersion effect.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
704: if you're not using the system for music, I would sit beside the projector.

Take note, that I have ceilings even lower than yours (under 7ft) and I will be mounting my CRT on the ceiling. If you're serious enough, it can be done ;). But I am pickiest about my 2-channel, so even having the projector in front of me was unacceptable acoustically. The ceiling was a given. You don't bump your head on it because you stand in front of it, and sit down underneath it. If you're totally unwilling to mount it, then I would sit next to it if it's only a movie system. I'm sitting next to one of my CRTs at the moment, and it's fine for theater audio. It would be unacceptable for me to sit out of the sweetspot for 2-channel music however. But that's the point of having a center channel in a 5.1 system, is to preserve a solid soundstage for off-axis viewers in a theater.

·
Registered
24,953 Posts
I'd say, in any event, try to mount the PJ on the ceiling. If you work it right even with a low ceiling you won't hit your head if the Pj is right over the seats. So often prime seating is right under or even slightly further forward than CRT throw. On the floor means any seating around that area will be lost to the PJ. Just my two cents.:)

Art

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I have to agree with the 'mount it on the ceiling if there is any possible way' camp.

Even with the low ceiling, it will prob. still be high enough that no one will bump their head on it...

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The "mount it on the ceiling" crowd's view is interesting. I would love to put it on the ceiling. The CRT will be a Marquee 8500.

My concerns are twofold. The projector will hang about 2 feet. So it will be down to around 5'4". You still think this is high enough to not get in the way? I also wanted a second row of seating. So my second concern is the sight line of the second row. Any thoughts to get around this?

You guys are the best.

Thanks,

Skip

Red Sox - only 6 more wins to break the curse.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Skip,

off the net I get the dimentions of the 8500 as being 17" high... That's an additional 7" from 2'. Also, a question... is this 7'4" ceiling height a drop ceiling? If so, take a look at the way I have mine mounted. My basement is 8' to the rafters... so that means 7'6" to the drop ceiling. my pj is recessed up into the ceiling and mounted on the rafters... The bottom of the guns hang down just a few inches below the drop ceiling level.

I'll post a pic...

·
Registered
625 Posts
Do you already have the projector? If not I would look at a dlp projector, mine is only about 5 inches thick and would make an excellent choice for low ceiling mounting. The compromise would be black level, but you would then gain everything else in terms of sweet spot.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Boy, the masses are certainly being heard! Thanks, Dave, for the pix. DLP certainly could be an alternative.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.