AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm needing a way to access the area behind each side of the proscenium where the left and right speakers and subwoofer will be located. I'm planning on building sections out of 2X2's or 2X3's and covered with GoM so that the speakers are not visible. Each panel will be about 3 1/2' wide and about 7 1/2' high, extending from the top of the stage to the ceiling. I don't want there to be an obvious access panel in the middle of the GoM.

What I'm thinking of is something like a swinging door that will allow them to pivot out from one side. I don't want the hinges to be visible, so I'm thought something like bolts through the top and bottom plates into the ceiling and stage - mounted as close to one end as possible. With a couple of large washers on the bolts between the ceiling and stage would form a workable pivot. Maybe some form of bushings hammered into the top and bottom plates for the bolts to pass through would help. The only problem I see with this idea is that I don't know how to adjust it to get everything plumb.

Any ideas on hardware that might work for this? Or other suggestions on how to get behind these proscenium panels for occasional access to the speakers?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
You could make a door frame to covered in GoM and use european hinges. They are hidden and used on a lot of cabinets to hide the hardware. At worse you see the hardware from the very edge when looking at the door.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Carlton, I simply made panels out of MDF, put furring strips for the TheaterShield and Fabric. They simply "snap" into place. You can see finished and construction photos HERE .

If you want to hinge them, you can use a piano hinge as I did for my access door to my equipment storage and equipment rack. I have some detail photos in an article I wrote entitled "A Home Theater" on HTProjectors . The hinge is covered with fabric and is non-visible from the room.

Good luck.

Tom

·
Registered
105 Posts
Figured I'd give this thread a bump...

Tom - you have done a fantastic job in concealing the panels used for access to your speakers and the door to your equipment room.

I'm about ready to hang sheetrock in my new HT, and my design calls for access panels/door in the procenium as well. Behind my procenium is access to a crawlspace that contains the furnace, so accessibility to this is important. Since this is a basement, I also need to conceal my electric main panel, and I'm considering using some type of hinged door covered in fabric.

I want the doors/panels to be as seamless as possible.

Anyone else with photos/details of how you concealed access panels/doors?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.