AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Mod & Bluray Reviewer
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The Review at a Glance: ( max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Miramax - 1996
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 96 minutes
Genre: Drama, Comedy

Disc Format: BD-25
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 & 2.0
Subtitles: English, English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Jon Favreau , Vince Vaughn, Ron Livingston, Heather Graham
Directed by: Doug Liman
Music by: Justin Reinhardt
Written by: Jon Favreau
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: August 23, 2011

"Get a nightlife."

Film Synopsis:

Hip and hilarious – critics and audiences alike are raving about this must-see comedy hit that's so money, it catapulted Vince Vaughn and Jon Favreau to stardom! It's the laugh-out-loud look at a fun group of friends who spend their days looking for work and their nights in and out of Hollywood's coolest after-hours hangouts!

My Take:

Hey you beautiful babies. It's been 15 years since idie flick 'Swingers' brought the names Vince Vaughn (Old School, The Wedding Crashers) John Favreau (Iron Man, Couples Retreat) and Doug Liman (The Bourne Identity, Mr. and Mrs. Smith) to the cinema going conscious. I am happy to replort that 15 years later it still is so money.

'Swingers' is about Mike (Jon Favreau), a struggling actor/comedian, who moved away from the security of home and the love his life to try to make it big in the city of angels. It is semi-autobiographical, as Favreau based his character on a relationship he had left behind and used his real life friends as the supporting cast. In the special features they talk about how they were playing caricatures of themselves, using lines they rattled off as they hung out as buddies trying to make it in Hollywood. Mike's smooth-talking buddy Trent (Vince Vaughn) and crew decide to do whatever it takes to shake Mike of his blues. From an impromptu road trip to Vegas, hitting on beautiful babies in hip Hollywood lounges or drunken dancing on a greasy spoon's table, wherever these guys go there is bound to be laughs, girls and emotion.

'Swingers' still holds up and you can easily see why these guys careers took off after the films release. The great supporting cast of characters that adds to its appeal, including Ron Livingston (Office Space), Heather Graham (The Hangover) and Brooke Langton (Melrose Place). What makes the film a success is its counterbalance of realism, humor and emotion. Doug Liman's direction makes these accessible guys even more accessible as his camera work makes the viewer feel like you are one of the buddies tagging along for the ride. 'Swingers' also seems a bit ageless, as its backdrop of the retro-swing movement of the 90s doesn't feel retro at all. Out of the 90s independent cinema revolution, this is one of the tops, and I am glad to report it held up like new.

Parental Guide:

Rated R for language throughout

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 80

• Dynamics:

• Low frequency extension:

• Surround Sound presentation:

• Clarity/Detail:

• Dialogue Reproduction:

Video: 82

• Resolution/Clarity:

• Black level/Shadow detail:

• Color reproduction:

• Fleshtones:

• Compression:
'Swingers' comes to Blu-ray Disc from Lionsgate Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 20.7 mbps and DTS-HD MA 5.1 Surround Sound that has an average bitrate of 2.8 mbps.

'Swingers' debut on Blu-ray is not quite as impressive as Good Will Hunting and Rounders, also released by Miramax/Lionsgate on August 23rd. Shot with hardly any budget in locations where they used the rooms normal light sources and far from optimal microphone placement, it is surprising 'Swingers' came out as good as it did. director Doug Limans guerrilla style filming gave the film a less polished and detailed look as high budget flicks, and he seemed to embrace that and make it part of the story. Colors tend to be a bit hot, and the image on-screen a bit soft. Close-ups did show some nice facial details, but the over-all look never got that depth a blu-ray can afford. What I found impressive was how well its 2.0 DTS-HD MA imaging was as it worked better than some multi channel mixes, The always intelligible dialogue looked spot-on to its on screen location. Unfortunately that also lended to a pretty narrow mix, keeping things on screen, never widening the experience. Then I realized something, there was also a 5.1 mix! So be warned, it defaults the the DTS 2.0. The 5.1 mix widened the experience, but was not night and day over the 2 channel. It had more separation and better dynamics, with the same great imaging. The low end was very pleasing, but the track never calls for anything too deep.

Bonus Features:

• Illustrated Action Commentary with Jon Favreau and Vince Vaughn

• Audio Commentary with Director Doug Liman and Editor Stephen Mirrione

• "Making it in Hollywood" Original Documentary

• “Swingblade” short film

• Original theatrical trailer

• (HD) Previews: Rounders, Hostage, Good Will Hunting, Warrior

Final Thoughts:

Go for it. Take a trip back to 90s Hollywood and the boys of 'Swingers'. It holds up well over time, and the films humor is still strong as it doesn't rely on jokes as much as awkwardly fun, but real situations for its laughs and emotions. Favreau and Vaughn both show why they made it while Liman ties it all together with his unique direction. Lionsgate fills the release with watchable extras, including a 50 minute "Making it in Hollywood" documentary and multiple commentary tracks. 'Swingers' comes highly recommended as it is still so money, baby.

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-X3 3D 1080p 3D High Definition Front Projector

Screen Innovations Solar HD 1.3 120" 2.40:1 CinemaScope Screen

Marantz AV7005 Pre/Pro

Sunfire Cinema Grand 5 200 Amplifier

Sony PS3 Slim Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Sunfire Cinema Ribbon Trio On-Wall (5.1)

Sunfire True Subwoofer EQ Solitaire 10"
[/b]

·
Mod & Bluray Reviewer
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundas /forum/post/20874361

This is not the first time Swingers has been released on Blu-ray. How is this version different than the one released a couple of years ago?.

It was released in Canada, not the US and I have not seen that version.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
This one of my top five favorite films...I can't even begin to count how many times I've seen it. I still remember the first viewing, though, and it's been just as good every viewing since

The answering machine scene still gets me every time...

·
Mod & Bluray Reviewer
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkoza /forum/post/20879410

I agree, definitely one of my fav. movies, I only wish my fiance would be able to watch it with me as I don't know a single female who likes this movie.

thanks for the review

I got lucky, my wife loved it

·
Registered
446 Posts
I still don't understand how you can review films to give people an idea of what they truly sound like when you're hearing then on ON-WALL speakers in the front.

I'm sure they're excellent on-wall speakers, and sound great, but there ARE compromises in their design and they will never sound as accurate or good as the best traditional speakers. This is why I normally only read Ralph's reviews and go to other sites for reviews of the films that you reviewed.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I swear, people will gripe if you hang them with a new rope!

Personally, I do not like Vince Vaughn so I will not rent it. But I thank you for your PERSONAL review and the time you spent giving it. And I do like Ralph's reviews also. But he is not the only one with eyes and ears! And another thing about speakers, If you have better ones, then you do the reviews please.

And I am not picking on the posters post, just commenting on another's time spent helping out the AVS folks here.

·
Mod & Bluray Reviewer
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebEffect /forum/post/20880450

I still don't understand how you can review films to give people an idea of what they truly sound like when you're hearing then on ON-WALL speakers in the front.

I'm sure they're excellent on-wall speakers, and sound great, but there ARE compromises in their design and they will never sound as accurate or good as the best traditional speakers. This is why I normally only read Ralph's reviews and go to other sites for reviews of the films that you reviewed.

I am pretty confident in the speakers I have chosen and do trust Bob Carver and the many many years of research he spent in the design of his Cinema ribbon trio's. He seems so confident they didn't offer a tower. My room is designed for sound, acoustical panels at reflection points, bass traps, etc. But please, go read someone who has a speaker technology you prefer over mine and most likley reviews in their untreated living room.

Thanks for the note.

Between this and PM's, you guys are beating me up lately!

·
Mod & Bluray Reviewer
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph1950 /forum/post/20880880

I swear, people will gripe if you hang them with a new rope!

Personally, I do not like Vince Vaughn so I will not rent it. But I thank you for your PERSONAL review and the time you spent giving it. And I do like Ralph's reviews also. But he is not the only one with eyes and ears! And another thing about speakers, If you have better ones, then you do the reviews please.

And I am not picking on the posters post, just commenting on another's time spent helping out the AVS folks here.

I am not the biggest fan of Vince either. This is definitely his shinning moment and worth giving a spin.

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
15,472 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebEffect /forum/post/20880450

Greetings,

This is a first.

Lee's system has been properly calibrated and I have every confidence that he and it is capable of providing an assessment that represents the quality of the discs he reviews.

Let's remember to be respectful of the time Lee puts in here. Contructive criticism and/or questions is perfectly acceptable but let's take that to PM's.

Thanks for the review Lee.

Regards,

·
Registered
22,558 Posts
FWIW, there are speakers that are designed to hang on-wall, and need the border reinforcement this provides. Are there trade-offs with ANY specific design? Sure, but the quality of the design and components has far more to do with the end result than whether it's a floor standing tower or anything else.

FWIW, it's far easier to screw up a speaker setup with floor standing towers than it is with surface mounts.

In any case, I'm familiar with most of Lee's audio gear and would endorse it's use for reviews with no hesitation. I'm certain it sounds incredible. The only thing I would suggest is to add a couple more subs.

·
Mod & Bluray Reviewer
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes /forum/post/20881059

FWIW, there are speakers that are designed to hang on-wall, and need the border reinforcement this provides. Are there trade-offs with ANY specific design? Sure, but the quality of the design and components has far more to do with the end result than whether it's a floor standing tower or anything else.

FWIW, it's far easier to screw up a speaker setup with floor standing towers than it is with surface mounts.

In any case, I'm familiar with most of Lee's audio gear and would endorse it's use for reviews with no hesitation. I'm certain it sounds incredible. The only thing I would suggest is to add a couple more subs.

OOPS!! I did
I have 2 of them now

One 10" Sunfire blew away my 1 13" SVS cylinder...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.