AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a FAQ etc. that would talk about box or switch problems and how to diagnose and isolate?

My issue.

1. I have to boxes (one a Toshiba DST3000 and one a Sony model). I am not receiving signal on a number of TP on the tosh box. I used to get all channels at a fairly high signal strengths. The sony box continues to receive channel 231 and 236 (for example) while the toshiba does not get either of these. The toshiba box ony gets signal on TP 20, 24, 27, 29, 30, 31 and 32. I live in San Jose CA.

things I have done.

1. removed the tosh box and connected it to the cable that goes to the sony. Same tuning issues with the tosh, very limited number of TP tuning in. Plug the sony in and the exat same channel 231 comes in fine. I don't believe it is inside wiring as

2. Unplugged and reset both boxes.

Questions.

1. could it be my external multiswitch or somehow bad wiring on one or more of the LNB?

2. Is it a bad box? I am thinking that the toshiba is bad.

3. How can I diagnose a bad dish or LNB?

thanks

Brentley

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I reposted this in a different forum as it appears to be a problem with my HDTV box.

thanks

brentley

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi Brentley,

What was your final resolution with this? I have the same problem with the dst-3000, I have actually returned 2 of them already to Tennessee, I am now going to be returning my 4th, is there something else you discovered that could help me.

Regards

John

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Turns out my dish was aimed wrong. Got a new Dtivo and dish, which when the installer came he aimed right. In addition the DST3000 was cooked and had to get a new mainboard to the tune of 150 bux. It still works although it sits on top of my cabinet now so that it can breathe.

hope this helps

brentley

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks, yep, I'm fearing that the dst3000 is done as well. I'm getting pretty upset since this is now going to be my 4th dst3000 I'm returning. I even put a small exhaust fan on top to help move some air around it. I'm positive it's not too hot, it's just something defective with the design of these.

Thanks for your help

John

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yep - I too started dropping some transponders, some still at 100, others at 0, and the analog tuner stopped working as well. This was my 2nd DST box. According to my repairman, Toshiba is now replacing the entire motherboard when repairng them. Before they would change only the failed components, and then fix it again in a year, which is about how long my DST3000 has worked each time. So I'm told anyway, that mine should be back within two weeks with an entire new motherboard that addresses transponder dropout, analog tuner failure, an one other problem that I do not recall. Yes it is a HOT box, but keeping it cooler has not helped over the last 3 years, so let's all hope this is the final fix. Repair price tag this time from Toshiba is $140 plus $9 shipping, plus the $60 I pay to my repairman to handle this for me and give me a loaner.

richskala

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For what it is worth, my box that got the new mainboard is still working great. I did place it on the top exposed shelf of my component rack so it gets lots of air. But when I was watching MNF on monday I was reminded why I had it in the first place.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.