AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was lookign at teh syncmaster 220hd, and i read the online manual.it shows that u can switch screen size/modes for component, hdmi, etc. the sie modes were 16:9, widescreen, widescreen zoom, zoom.

so if i set it to component 16:9, will my xbox 360 play in 16:9 with no back bars, and no stretching, distortion, etc?

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
The 16:9 option is there opposed to the other options which are options for the display of 4:3 content on your 16:9 aspect ratio 1080p monitor and you would select it if you are in fact sending 16:9 aspect ratio content to the monitor.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok... so would a xbox 360 game, such as BC2, which put black bars on my SDTV, play w/o black bars are stretching/distortion if i select 16:9 on the monitor?

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Apparently your XBOX is set to output to 4:3 aspect ratio display/TV instead of to a 16:9 aspect ratio display/TV if the image on your sceen iwhen set to 16:9 mode is letterboxed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no, BC2 outputs to 16:9, my TV may be 4:3, as its not widescreen or anything, just regular tube SDTV.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok chatted with a samsung rep, he said if the game is 16:9 and i set 16:9 on the monitor, theres no black bars, and the image is stretched evenly horizontally and vertically. so no distortion, just a bigger pic basically...does this sound right??

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Absolutly! that is what I thought I was saying when I said that if you replace your standard aspect ratio SD CRT TV with a 16:9 aspect ratio widescreen monitor. However the model in question has a 16:10 aspect ratio.

·
Registered
277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daman22 /forum/post/18289093

ok chatted with a samsung rep, he said if the game is 16:9 and i set 16:9 on the monitor, theres no black bars, and the image is stretched evenly horizontally and vertically. so no distortion, just a bigger pic basically...does this sound right??

That sounds right to a certain extent. Since xbox outputs 16:9, and the monitor has a native resolution of 16:10, the monitor will be interpolating the output. It's usually best to just use the native resolution of your display, without any stretching.

There is no way to show a 16:9 image from xbox to a 16:10 monitor, without either stretching it vertically, or cropping the sides a little and zooming in. Your monitor will be doing one of these things. It would be best to leave the monitor in 16:9 and play the games that way.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dathon /forum/post/18289665

That sounds right to a certain extent. Since xbox outputs 16:9, and the monitor has a native resolution of 16:10, the monitor will be interpolating the output. It's usually best to just use the native resolution of your display, without any stretching.

There is no way to show a 16:9 image from xbox to a 16:10 monitor, without either stretching it vertically, or cropping the sides a little and zooming in. Your monitor will be doing one of these things. It would be best to leave the monitor in 16:9 and play the games that way.

if i leave it at 16:10 there will b e black bars right? i just dont want to pa for a 22" and really the screen will be 19-20 inches

1 - 10 of 10 Posts