AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A good idea or not? I haven't decided on my new A/V receiver yet, but I was wondering if I should be considering using it as a switch for my DVD and digital cable box (both component). Or is it better to use the panel (when I get the damn thing)? I understand that the answer depends on the quality of the converter on the receiver (or whatever passes the signal thru), but assume that I will likely spend about $600ish on the receiver.

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
Have a 3803 and have no problem with switching or the upconversion. That's a little higher than your budget as indicated.

I will always advise a receiver :) in addition to the TV speakers etc as well as speakers etc. Just sounds sooooo much nicer. I have maxed out my component inputs, s-video inputs on my receiver, TV and switcher. Can never have enough inputs!

A decent switcher can run $200 and up, so a good receiver with switching and upconversion capabilities is nice.

You will have to watch the spec's on the nabdwidth the video component are able to path through the receiver to ensure that they will carry the HD signal.

Therese

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I definitely plan on using a receiver for my sound. :) I just wasn't sure if the video signal would get degraded by running it thru the receiver rather than directly into the panel. Considering I will probably get the new panny phd6uy, I should have enough inputs for my 3 sources (DVD, cable and Xbox) so I *think* I may just go direct.

However, I think that also means that I will have to switch *two* things instead of one (correct me if I'm wrong) If all the audio goes into the receiver and the video is switched at the panel, then I have to switch the panel's video and then receiver's audio for each change, right? Whereas if the receiver handles both it's just one change. What did you mean about bandwidth capabilities? What are the metrics associated with this?

P.S. I realize we're probably heading off into another forum topic...sorry. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
Hmmm....XBOX and DVD will need component. Only 1 component on the 6uy - unless you also want to use the 15 pin RGB which I understand works. WIll require a special cable.

If you add a STB with HD - you will be short a component. Or if your cable needs component to feed the HD signal. If you ended up connecting your cable via composite - then you will have also negate the use of the Svideo and will be short a component as well. So....might be a little short on inputs - since I don't know your cable box etc - may want to revisit receiver or get a switcher or additional card or DVI etc.

It is advised to have 100Mhz on component to ensure the HD signal is able to be carried. Some people will state you can carry it on 50Mhz - but I have not verified that works.

Therese

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually Xbox would be running Svideo, with the DVD player and cable box on component (at least until TWC gives me a box with DVI). I plan on getting a card for the 6uy so I will have 2 component inputs available to me, along with DVI.

Thanks for the link to the 50 v 100 mhz. Seems to me that this whole switching issue is about convenience vs quality in some respects. Lots to think about. ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I found this at zektor com its an hds4 might help you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.