AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

I've enjoyed my Marantz SR7007 for the last two years, and I got the itch to spend some money on something new.

I was going to get an SR7009, but the Onkyo TX-NR3030 caught my eye, with its ton of features. So I ordered one, and received it two days ago.

I was a bit concerned that the Onkyo would be a slight letdown when listening to music, but that worry was unfounded. The big 3030 sounds great for music. I use an Oppo BD-105D for Bluray audio discs, and it really knocks my sock off in terms of listenability.

For internet radio, I listen to a lot of ambient and trance stations. The various sound modes of the 3030 are a real treat. Dolby Surround, with Atmos speakers gives a real spacious feel to music. And the Pure Mode is really nice for vinyl. Impressive on all counts.

Both receivers have a feature that improves the sound of compressed music, like MP3's. They both work well in this regard, with a noticable improvement when the feature is turned on.

Movies are simply fantastic. I rewatched John Wick last night, and in spite of all the hype about Atmos, I really was delighted to hear the difference. Bouncing the sound off my ceiling made for a real immersive experience. The fight scenes were like I hadn't heard them before. I hope more movies get the Atmos treatment soon.

I love the sound of my SR7007. But I will have to admit that the 3030 sounds more "theaterlike". Something about the sound makes me think I'm in a bigass theater watching a movie. I'm no audiophile. Just a guy with two ears. SO these are just my impressions.

Menu-wise, the Marantz wins hand down. Onkyo need to spiff up their menus. Marantz does them right. The Marantz menu system seems perfect. Onkyo's seems kind of wonky, but effective.

The remotes are about equal. I like them both. Although Onkyo's seems a bit chubbier than it needs to be.

I have not used the wireless on the Onkyo. Probably never will, as I'm wired to all my gear.

I have not played with the video processing settings yet. I've run everything through my Oppo so far.

All in all, I am very impressed with the TX-NR3030. It was a bit of a gamble for me, considering how well loved the SR7007 was/is.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This post is about my observations, so sure...I'll reply to myself. :)

I watched Interstellar last night, and it sounded great. I had heard some people say that the dialog was hard to understand at times. I had no trouble hearing everything very clearly. The liftoff scene was thunderous, and some of the china in a cabinet in another room, was disco dancing.

I liked the movie a lot, and the TX-NR3030 continues to impress me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts