AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a component switcher that's at least 4x1, that does well with 1080i component, supports optical or dig coax sound, and works with a remote.

I just bought another switch that doesn't meet my needs of the above. It looks like I'll have to return it. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
780 Posts
If you can find another $59, the Zektor HS4.1 is exactly what you want. It handles all video formats thru 1080p, optical & coax digital audio plus analog audio. You can find a few refurb units for sale also. One down side: it ONLY works with a remote, no front-panel operation. The remote is not supplied, you use any multi-brand model.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Chick
If you can find another $59, the Zektor HS4.1 is exactly what you want... One down side: it ONLY works with a remote, no front-panel operation. The remote is not supplied, you use any multi-brand model.
Yeah, ok it sounds like that might be it. For sure it doesn't come with a remote though? That's too bad. I also ordered my AA 1154A switcher through Copperbox.com, and it looks like they're going to charge a restocking fee for me to be able to return this one. :(

Still, it sounds like the Zektor is it. How's the quality of it?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoma44
Yeah, ok it sounds like that might be it. For sure it doesn't come with a remote though? That's too bad. I also ordered my AA 1154A switcher through Copperbox.com, and it looks like they're going to charge a restocking fee for me to be able to return this one. :(

Still, it sounds like the Zektor is it. How's the quality of it?
Copperbox carries the Zektor also, so there shouldn't be a restock fee if you are exchanging for a different model, call them about that. The InDay switchers are video or audio only so they aren't quite what you want. The Zektor quality is very high, I've had no problems and it introduces no degradation into the signal. As with all analog connections, use the best and shortest component cables you can.

Mine definitely didn't come with a remote, but I'm sure you have one somewhere that can be programmed for different TV models with a 3-digit code. I can't remember which one it emulates, but its a code-set that every remote knows about. There are just On/Off, LED brightness and 1-4 functions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quote:
If you can find another $59, the Zektor HS4.1 is exactly what you want. It handles all video formats thru 1080p, optical & coax digital audio plus analog audio. You can find a few refurb units for sale also. One down side: it ONLY works with a remote, no front-panel operation. The remote is not supplied, you use any multi-brand model.
Tony,

You seem to be getting some to the feature facts of the HDS4 and the HDS4.1 mixed up here. It is true that the HDS4 was only capable of being controlled by IR and that the switch was designed to use almost any existing remote you already had.

The HDS4.1 which recently replaced the HDS4 added discrete buttons on the front panel in addition to the IR learning capability. We also added another channel to each input giving you a total of six channels per input vs. five the HDS4 had. Bandwidth on all channels are 1080p capable which offers the flexibility of using the switch in many different configurations.

Design and feature wise, the HDS4.1 is a far better switch than the HDS4 was and we were also able to release it at a lower cost and extended the warranty!

Thanks!

Jeff

·
Registered
780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zektor - Jeff
Tony,

You seem to be getting some to the feature facts of the HDS4 and the HDS4.1 mixed up here. It is true that the HDS4 was only capable of being controlled by IR and that the switch was designed to use almost any existing remote you already had.

The HDS4.1 which recently replaced the HDS4 added discrete buttons on the front panel in addition to the IR learning capability. We also added another channel to each input giving you a total of six channels per input vs. five the HDS4 had. Bandwidth on all channels are 1080p capable which offers the flexibility of using the switch in many different configurations.

Design and feature wise, the HDS4.1 is a far better switch than the HDS4 was and we were also able to release it at a lower cost and extended the warranty!

Thanks!

Jeff
Jeff,

Thanks for clarifying for me and Yoma44, on checking I indeed have an HDS4 rather than a 4.1. If the new switch exceeds the capabilities of the HDS4, then so much the better!.

Tony

·
Registered
629 Posts
Quote:
One down side: it ONLY works with a remote, no front-panel operation. The remote is not supplied, you use any multi-brand model.
No, there are 5 very useable buttons on the front of my 4.1.

edit: then I kept reading......... ;)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zektor - Jeff
The HDS4.1 which recently replaced the HDS4 added discrete buttons on the front panel in addition to the IR learning capability. We also added another channel
Thanks Zektor! When I saw you said 'We', I looked over to see who the post was, and, OH, Zektor is talking.

That's great news, Jeff. I just ordered a 4.1. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Wow, I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread, even though it's been dormant for several weeks. I've been using a Zektor HDS4 for several years and it's been absolutely solid, though I have been employing a separate small switch to send the composite output of the devices connected to the Zektor to a second (composite) monitor. Reading about the HDS4.1, it's almost like they designed it exactly for my needs -- I can do all my switching with one box!

Thanks Zektor! I just placed an order -- you guys make great stuff!

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Does anyone here use the Zektor HDS4 or 4.1 with a Harmony remote? I'm looking for a component-video switcher, too, and it has to be controllable by my Harmony. I see the Harmony database has codes for the HDS4. Are these pre-programmed into the HDS4 or do I have to download them to my Harmony and then teach them to the HDS4?

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
I found another candidate that looks promising: the CE Labs SW104HD. Four inputs and two outputs (component video and 2-channel or digital audio). It has its own remote instead of the Zektor's IR-learning capability. It's listed in the Harmony database. It's a lot cheaper than the Zektor, about $140 versus $260.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I don't have the Harmony remote, but I do have both the Zektor HDS4 and the HDS4.1. The latter is incredibly easy to program -- just pick any remote control (or code) you want, press two buttons on the front panel, then point your remote at it and press POWER, 1, 2, 3, 4, 8, 9. That's it.

The HDS4 is a little more complicated, but not bad. I can't speak to the quality of the CE Labs device you found, but I can tell you that these Zektor units are quite excellent, from the build quality to the operational performance.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Abut a month ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbell
I found another candidate that looks promising: the CE Labs SW104HD. Four inputs and two outputs (component video and 2-channel or digital audio). It has its own remote instead of the Zektor's IR-learning capability. It's listed in the Harmony database. It's a lot cheaper than the Zektor, about $140 versus $260.
I finally ordered one from Beach Audio, and it arrived today. It's somewhat smaller than I expected (which is fine with me), about 12"W x 2.25"H x 6.5"D, and feels solidly built, with a metal case. The front panel has a power button, a button that cycles through the inputs, an indicator light for each input to show you which one is active, and an IR sensor for the remote control.

I spent a couple of hours rearranging my connections and re-configuring my Harmony remote. This unit is in the Harmony database, so all I had to do was add the device and incorporate it into the activities that use the units connected to it: DVD player, DVD/HDD recorder, and two HD DVRs.

I can now use component connections for all of them, whereas I had to use S-Video for two of them previously, because my TV doesn't have enough high-definition inputs. Also, these units are in a separate cabinet a few feet away from the TV, so I used to have a lot of cables running across the floor. Putting the switch in the cabinet gets most of those cables off the floor and confines the clutter to the back of the cabinet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.