AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I have to resort to asking advice on this one here as I've had no response from Lutron Service.

I have this double wall switch arrangement in the bedroom where one switch is for the bedside table lamps and quite frankly I'm darned if I can find what function the other switch performs. Because of that fact, I bought a Maestro IR switch for the lamps even though it was single pole, which was the only kind the local Home Depot sold anyway. I maintain the switch is not 3-way for while it is in the same box it is not connected in any way with the other, ( but then I have never been able to get my head around electrical wiring when it becomes more involved.)

I phoned Lutron on Monday and the guy left me to sort out by elimination the two wires that would be combined for one of two screws on the dimmer. The lights worked but the LEDs didn't and the remote did not function. Turns out it was the red and white, which was my original thinking, but what do I know ? duh !

So Tuesday I called Lutron again and one suggestion was to see if it worked without the black wire and if that failed then to buy a 3-way Maestro IR. Well, it didn't, so I wrote to Lutron to ask that since the second switch didn't appear to serve any purpose, could I eliminate it and what was the best way to achieve this. I haven't heard anything back in response, so now I am thinking that maybe Lutron isn't the best way for me to go the "whole house" route after all and that's after using Lutron dimmers, switches and outlets for three rooms and the entrance hall in my house so far.

Any help from the experts here would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
The other switch may be for a ceiling light or fan, which is not installed. Is there a blank plate in the ceiling anywhere?

I don't think you should be dimming an outlet, anyway - switch is OK. Is that what you meant? You bought a switch, and not a dimmer? Not sure if they make an IR switch.

What LEDs? On the dimmer/switch? Or is one of the lamps LED? Are they incandescent bulbs in the lamps?

I see 2 problems here - the wiring (which Lutron shouldn't be helping you with), and the chosen dimmer/switch. Once you figure out the wiring, Lutron will help.

Which model of Lutron Maestro IR did you buy? I see several different models of Maestro IR, on the Lutron site.

Looking at the MIR600 instructions, Important Note #1 says 'do not use to control receptacles'.

Lutron website has a TON of helpful installation notes, for homeowners.
http://www.lutron.com/Service-Suppor...R%c2%ae+dimmer

Don't burn your house down. Figure out how to do it, and correctly, BEFORE doing it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Neurorad, but I don't know where you got the idea that I was attempting to 'dim an outlet'. I bought a MIR-600 Maestro IR dimmer, which is essentially a switch that can also dim the lights, and all remotely at that.

The small green lights (down the left-hand side ) are what Lutron refer to as LEDs in their Troubleshooting.

I've always thought that maybe the second switch was for a ceiling light, but then there is no plate in the ceiling. However, it will eventually come in handy when I have pot-lights installed in all remaining ceilings. There happens to be a similar switch at the top of stairs on the bedroom landing, but then all three ceiling lights there are controlled by wall switches/dimmers, so it looks like the electrician who wired this house inadvertently created these problems while otherwise doing a very good job.

I do intend to have licensed electricians perform the rest of the reno' work when the 'whole house' upgrade is done this winter, which is when electricians would prefer to have work involving the attic done. The fire brigade can rest assured. I will, however, head for that Lutron web site you kindly provided after I send this off. Thank you again.

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
You said you had bedside table lamps. Sorry, assumed they were plugged into an outlet.

Speaking of which, that unknown switch may control 1 or more outlets (maybe split) in the MBR - check top and bottom receptacles of each outlet.

I understand your frustration - I started learning about line voltage wiring myself a year or 2 ago, in preparation for replacing switches in my house. I bought a few books, read each one several times. So, I'm still a novice myself.

I installed a Maestro IR in my MBR last year - wife loves the remote control, but doesn't care for the 'tap' wallplate. She doesn't realize that is what is going in the rest of the house. Yet.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're right they are plugged in to the wall outlets but they are fed by the light switch on the wall but you can switch them on/off by the usual knob on the lamps themselves. The wall outlets were one of the items I initially checked and they are both live while the wall switch is ON. The second switch doesn't affect them at all.

I bought the Meastro IR essentially for my wife, mainly to enable her to switch the lamps off, but dimmers seem to have made no impression on her at all. I'm doing my damnedest to get her to switch off all lights in areas where there's nobody present, but she remains adamant about leaving lights on the main staircase and undimmed. Green she is not.

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
Check the upper and lower outlets, on each receptacle; they may be split, with only 1 controlled by the mystery light switch.

·
Registered
639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad /forum/post/19621927

Check the upper and lower outlets, on each receptacle; they may be split, with only 1 controlled by the mystery light switch.

I bet this is what it is.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgvp /forum/post/19619446

So Tuesday I called Lutron again and one suggestion was to see if it worked without the black wire and if that failed then to buy a 3-way Maestro IR. Well, it didn't, so I wrote to Lutron to ask that since the second switch didn't appear to serve any purpose, could I eliminate it and what was the best way to achieve this. I haven't heard anything back in response, so now I am thinking that maybe Lutron isn't the best way for me to go the "whole house" route after all and that's after using Lutron dimmers, switches and outlets for three rooms and the entrance hall in my house so far.

Any help from the experts here would be appreciated.

Thanks.

How would Lutron know exactly how your house is wired?

·
Registered
99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgvp /forum/post/19620931

You're right they are plugged in to the wall outlets but they are fed by the light switch on the wall but you can switch them on/off by the usual knob on the lamps themselves. The wall outlets were one of the items I initially checked and they are both live while the wall switch is ON. The second switch doesn't affect them at all.

I bought the Meastro IR essentially for my wife, mainly to enable her to switch the lamps off, but dimmers seem to have made no impression on her at all. I'm doing my damnedest to get her to switch off all lights in areas where there's nobody present, but she remains adamant about leaving lights on the main staircase and undimmed. Green she is not.

HIRE A ELECTRICIAN!!!

So you argue that you are NOT controlling a receptacle and where Neurorad got the idea from is you saying it twice. You have said twice that you are dimming the lights beside the bed and they are plugged into the outlet, therefore you ARE trying to dim a outlet. Am I misreading what you are saying??? In any case Lutron can try to help you but if you do not know what kind of wiring you have how are they going to know how your house is wired from where they are. I have had great experience with Lutron..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.