AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought a new TV and decided that I really should invest in a sound system. I just ordered a BIC F12 (as suggested by the AVS forum) and am planning to get an Onkyo TX-SR608 (again, AVS suggestion) soon, but I want to see if the price drops before Christmas. I have a "5.1 home theater in a box" that comes with a 60w amp powered passive sub. My question is, can I safely hook up the F12 to the blu-ray player in the meantime? I'm assuming this is perfectly fine, but thought I'd ask the experts.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainhammer /forum/post/19597379

So I just bought a new TV and decided that I really should invest in a sound system. I just ordered a BIC F12 (as suggested by the AVS forum) and am planning to get an Onkyo TX-SR608 (again, AVS suggestion) soon, but I want to see if the price drops before Christmas. I have a "5.1 home theater in a box" that comes with a 60w amp powered passive sub. My question is, can I safely hook up the F12 to the blu-ray player in the meantime? I'm assuming this is perfectly fine, but thought I'd ask the experts.

Does you bd player even have a sub pre-out? I don't know of any that do.

Why not plug it into the sub pre-out on your avr? Those "all in one" setups aren't always upgradable friendly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No sub-pre out.

As of two weeks ago, I really didn't know anything about home A/V. Started researching this forum a few days ago and have learned a lot. But to be honest, I'm not exactly sure what a avr is for. Looking through the forums, I can gather that it keeps the voltage constant. Shouldn't most decent receivers come with is stock?

I was planning on just directly hooking the powered sub to the player output. I assume that the signal is one directional (to the sub). I'm not concerned with damaging the sub, but the player is my roommates.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Sorry, but you can't hook the sub up to the player's output. That puts out a full-range signal, while the sub needs a bandwidth-limited (to only bass and LFE frequencies) signal to its line-level RCA input.

You could, however, wire the sub output from the HTIB amp to one of the BIC's speaker-level inputs. You might have to assemble a cable depending on the kind of connection the HTIB's sub has to the amp, but it should work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce /forum/post/19597711

Sorry, but you can't hook the sub up to the player's output. That puts out a full-range signal, while the sub needs a bandwidth-limited (to only bass and LFE frequencies) signal to its line-level RCA input.

isn't that what the crossover knob is for?

·
Registered
6,103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainhammer /forum/post/19597789

isn't that what the crossover knob is for?

Yes and no. That knob sets the highest frequency the subwoofer will produce. It is most useful when the sub is wired between an amp without bass management and a pair of speakers using the speaker-level inputs and outputs on the sub. In theory, you could hook up the sub to one of the stereo RCAs on the back of the player, but I think you'd be disappointed with the sound. When connected to the sub-out on a multichannel receiver, the sub outputs the bass and LFE information from all the channels the receiver is driving. Attached to one of the BD player's stereo RCA outputs, if it worked, you'd only be getting the bass for that ONE channel (front L or R), not 5, 6, or 7.

·
Registered
41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainhammer /forum/post/19597379

You can hook it up with the sub out line level into your speaker line level in. set the cross over to whatever you need (probably around 80hz,). I have done this with a HTIB and it works.

edited to add.... It looks as though your purple wire on the back is your sub. just hook that line into the back of your sub where the "speaker" looking inputs are.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaiderTTU /forum/post/19598249

You can hook it up with the sub out line level into your speaker line level in. set the cross over to whatever you need (probably around 80hz,). I have done this with a HTIB and it works.

edited to add.... It looks as though your purple wire on the back is your sub. just hook that line into the back of your sub where the "speaker" looking inputs are.

This is exactly what I was talking about in the second paragraph of my first post!

·
Registered
219 Posts
I think this thread is what I'm looking for.... I'm getting a BD theater in a box also and I want to plug the sub out (comes w/ a small passive, which I won't use ) to a powered sub which I have. So that's OK to do right?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts