AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for opinions from those of you who have gone from DLP to D-ILA or LCoS or LCD.

I've always had lower end DLP projectors and been happy with them. I'm looking to upgrade in the future and have been looking at a refurbished Optoma HD8600 for $2,500.

I would definitely consider other options such as JVC (DLA-X500) or Sony etc but I'd like to know how the picture differs between the different technologies.

When viewing Blu Ray / DVD's what will change?

I have a fully light controlled HT with flexible mounting options and looking at going to 120" 2.35:1 screen.

Budget $3-4000.

All suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool thanks, I'll keep it in the mix.

Does anyone know if the JVC or Sony have that fake soap opera look like the LED tv's? I hate the look of LED tv's for movies.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Once I found the right settings for my LCD TV, the soap opera / cartoon look went away. Someone posted the settings after color calibration. Made all the difference.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I second the Sony HW 55ES suggestion. Couldn't be happier with the picture, 3D performance, it's OOTB PQ, etc. But then I'm coming from an old DLP, the NEC HT1000.

·
Registered
19,793 Posts

Quote:

Does anyone know if the JVC or Sony have that fake soap opera look like the LED tv's? I hate the look of LED tv's for movies.

No, both the Sony HW55 and the new JVC's like the RS4910 ( DLA-X500 ) look great. Take it from a die hard DLP lover - you will be happy with either one. And the black levels will be much better too.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool thank you very much. I'm looking into a constant height screen so I guess JVC has the advantage with the memory lens as I don't have the $$$ to shell out for an anamorphic lens.

PQ difference between the JVC DLA-X500 and Sony HW55, anyone had them side by side? Will there be much difference?

I live in the sticks so I don't have much for demo options.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze13  /t/1522444/switching-from-dlp-to-another-display-type#post_24481356

Reduce or better yet turn off any of the motion enhancement "features" and you'll be fine.

To me the motion enhancements make everything look like early videotaped television.
Quote:
Cool thank you very much. I'm looking into a constant height screen so I guess JVC has the advantage with the memory lens as I don't have the $$$ to shell out for an anamorphic lens.

PQ difference between the JVC DLA-X500 and Sony HW55, anyone had them side by side? Will there be much difference?

I live in the sticks so I don't have much for demo options.

Not yet but soon.

From what I have been told by people I trust the Sony is much brighter.

Given that we don't know your application the JVC may be plenty bright.

But if you want to do a scope screen the JVC would be a better fit.

·
Registered
19,793 Posts
I measured over 900 lumens from the 4910 I had. Plenty for a moderate sized screen with a little gain. It was fine on my 128" dia. 2.35:1 StudioTek 130 and my 106" dia. 16:9 Stewart Cima Neve 1.1 screen.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer  /t/1522444/switching-from-dlp-to-another-display-type#post_24482430

I measured over 900 lumens from the 4910 I had. Plenty for a moderate sized screen with a little gain. It was fine on my 128" dia. 2.35:1 StudioTek 130 and my 106" dia. 16:9 Stewart Cima Neve 1.1 screen.

Does the JVC have blanking?

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze13  /t/1522444/switching-from-dlp-to-another-display-type#post_24481356

it has the OPTION to turn it on, but that's it. even LED's usually let you turn that off.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt  /t/1522444/switching-from-dlp-to-another-display-type#post_24483191

it has the OPTION to turn it on, but that's it. even LED's usually let you turn that off.

Right thanks. I had forgotten that look is caused by motion and picture processor's and such.

·
Registered
23,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer  /t/1522444/switching-from-dlp-to-another-display-type#post_24483858

Quote:
Originally Posted by trans_lux  /t/1522444/switching-from-dlp-to-another-display-type#post_24482694

Yes. It's called Hide.
I was thinking he meant a feature to blank pixels near the edges, such as the black bar area above and below a 2.35:1 movie, as opposed to blanking the whole screen.

While the JVCs do have blanking for the edges I don't believe they go far enough to cover the whole black bar area. Not sure the reason for the question though. They should already be at video black during 2.35:1 movies if the projector is calibrated correctly, but he may want them for a different purpose. For using a 1.85:1 screen the JVCs probably have enough blanking.

--Darin

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So when it comes to motion in movies (like in heavy action scenes) will the JVC be inferior to the Sony? If so, how noticeable will it be?

·
Registered
31,203 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2  /t/1522444/switching-from-dlp-to-another-display-type#post_24483896

I was thinking he meant a feature to blank pixels near the edges, such as the black bar area above and below a 2.35:1 movie, as opposed to blanking the whole screen.

While the JVCs do have blanking for the edges I don't believe they go far enough to cover the whole black bar area. Not sure the reason for the question though. They should already be at video black during 2.35:1 movies if the projector is calibrated correctly, but he may want them for a different purpose. For using a 1.85:1 screen the JVCs probably have enough blanking.

--Darin

You are correct. The blanking gets close close, but not quite enough to cover the black bars.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
One more question, when planning on mounting the projector, is it best to get it as close to being vertically centered as possible or is using more offset ok?

I've been reading that the best picture is achieved by being vertically centered and not using offset.

I'd like to build it into a soffit but if it's better to be lower (closer to the center of the screen) I would ceiling mount it.

·
Registered
15,106 Posts
It depends on if the V-shift you use ends up adding to or subtracting from convergence error. Sometimes enabling V-shift can actually improve convergence. The difference is slight either way almost always unless you get near the extreme amounts of the maximum V-shift, though these days even that isn't usually nearly as bad as it used to be.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2  /t/1522444/switching-from-dlp-to-another-display-type#post_24483896

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer  /t/1522444/switching-from-dlp-to-another-display-type#post_24483858

Quote:
Originally Posted by trans_lux  /t/1522444/switching-from-dlp-to-another-display-type#post_24482694

Yes. It's called Hide.

--Darin

When watching movies with mixed ratios i.e. any Chris Nolan movie.

I want to watch the movie in 2:4 without seeing the IMAX shots outside the screen. Not to mention the transport controls and menus.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts