AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well since my DVD player is dying and I need to yank the case out of the rack anyway, I am going swap my Geforce2 card for my new Radeon card.

So do you guys have any suggestions or tips on this kind of swap out?

Thx,

Cameron

·
Registered
653 Posts
I had no problems switching from a Geforce 2MX to a Radeon VIVO. I uninstalled the Geforce drivers, removed the card, and installed the Radeon with the 7089 drivers. No glitches at all under WinME. All my player software ran without any problems. On the other hand, I had numerous problems trying to switch from a Sound Blaster Live to an Audigy card.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply!

Do you use PowerStrip? I am wondering if the custom T&R is included with the 3.0 Beta version that I am using now.

Cameron

·
Registered
208 Posts
I don't think it would be worth it for you to switch a geforce 2 to a Radeon. Now the Radeon 8500... that's a different story!

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I already own a radeon. I can use the Geforce2 in another PC too. Supposedly the current Radeon gives a superior picture to the Geforce for HTPC purposes. If it doesn't, I will swap it back.

Cameron

p.s. do you have any reasons that the 8500 will be a better HTPC card? I am interested in your thoughts.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
If gaming is a part of your HTPC, you might want to check the "best of both worlds" link in my sig...

(Returning to lurk mode)

·
Registered
967 Posts
If I don't use my PC for gaming, only for DVD viewing and for my Hipix, would it be worth it to switch from my Geforce2 Ultra Gladiac to a Radeon 8500? My OS is WinME, although I might switch to XP if it supports DD 5.1 & DTS via SPDIF. (does it?)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.