Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I have a Panasonic 42" plasma to which I run HDTV from an RCA DTC100 via the plama's VGA port. The plasma component inputs host my DVD player.

Problem is that my Panny suffers from the dreaded HDTV horizontal "seams" issue when running HDTV through the VGA port. I would like to purchase a VGA->Component transcoder (RCA makes one for about $150) to drive HDTV via the component inputs (my understanding is this will eliminate the seams issue).

My question: Will my Denon AVR 3802 properly pass the HDTV signal if I use it to switch between the DVD and HDTV component signals to the plasma. The Denon spec sheet lists the bandwidth for the component switching as 27Mhz. Seems to me that this is less than what is required by HDTV (something like 40-50Mhz???). Anyone know if this will work? Will picture quality in HDTV (or DVD mode for that matter) be noticably deteriorated? I would like to avoid spending $500 on a high bandwidth component video switchbox....

Thanks in advance!

-Kale

·
Registered
698 Posts
30mhz bandwidth is the minium for hdtv.Your picture may suffer alittle with 27mhz.Its one of the only downfalls of the 3802.Try it out and see what it looks like. bm

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
You will not lose any picture quality at all with the 3802. I have tested this with another "inadequate" Denon receiver and found it quite excellent.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Will I lose any picture quality at all with the Denon 2802? I can't find any specs on the component bandwidth for it. On the Panny 42" is it possible to connect HDTV to the component and the DVD to the VGA?

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
You can connect the DVD to the VGA if you get the right kind of transcoder.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I could do the Component to VGA transcoder to handle the DVD into the VGA port (bypassing the Denon) but then I'm stuck buying two transcoders!!

Can anyone recommend a good source for transcoders (esp VGA to component)? First thing I'm going to try is switching through the Denon AVR 3802 per Rogo's advice (thanks man).

-Kale

·
Registered
698 Posts
Rogo,

Whats the right kind of transcoder?I'm alittle confused....You can't buy a rca to vga cable and plug your dvd player right into your plasma?What about a stb? thanks for the help bm

·
Registered
15,351 Posts
Rogo wrote:

"You will not lose any picture quality at all with the 3802. I have tested this with another "inadequate" Denon receiver and found it quite excellent."

Mark, I don't doubt your findings, but I'm curious if you are particularly confident about switching video signals through the *Denon* receivers, or if you wish to imply that any receivers with the Denon's specs should be fine.

I ask because I have the Pioneer Elite 49TX "Ultra 2" THX receiver. The THX Ultra 2 specs require the receiver to pass HD and progressive scan signals "with no visible degradation." To that end, the 49TX's video switching frequencie goes up to 40 Mhz, which *should* be enough.

However, the video switching has been much discussed in various forums by 49TX owners. Some say they don't see any signal degradation, others say they can see a slight change in the signal (slightly softer, but slightly deeper color).

The HDTV signal through the 49TX looks fantastic. But I notice that the 49TX *slightly* softens the picture, so I choose to run my cables directly into my plasma when I can (or use a very high-bandwidth component switcher otherwise).

For me the moral of the story is, if you are really picky about video quality, simply relying on *manufacturer* specs might not tell the whole story when it comes to video switching.

Rich H.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
My experience is with Denon receivers. These supposedly inadequate 27MHz receivers do a fine job passing HD with no apparent degradation. I am quite sure that despite several bajillion online postings about bandwidth of component inputs, there is much more to it than that -- it is the entire circuit path and its quality.

Beyond that there is the issue that all those calculations about how much bandwidth you need assume that HD signals are at their full resolution, which they are rarely if ever at.

As for the above question about transcoders, I believe Key Digital and/or Audio Authority make a component video-to-VGA transcoder.

Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.