AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a learning remote (Sony VL900) that I'm extremely happy with, but it lacks the ability to connect to a PC and so I'm unable to use discrete codes. I'm using macros to switch video inputs for DVD/cable box/etc. by switching first to the PC input (used as a kind of "home base"), then sending video input select commands the required number of times to land on the correct input.

The problem I'm running into is that there seems to be a significant but inconsistent delay between sending the command to switch inputs and the actual input change on the display - the end result is pretty much a crap shoot as far as what video input I end up on with a given number of input switching commands. I've thought about trying to add in dummy commands between input switches, but I only have a limited number of commands to string together in a macro, and a long way to go to get to certain inputs.

I've posted similar questions at Remote Central, but there don't seem to be enough 42PA20 owners there to provide much feedback... I'm hoping maybe someone here might have some ideas, or might have run into the same problem and have a solution...

Thanks,

Descolada

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I use the same remote, and I know why you're leary of getting rid of it. I've been using mine for going on 5 years now, just a great little remote.

I seem to recall people talking about some cheap remote that's available at Radio Shack that either is designed for discreet codes, or can be hacked in such a way rather easily. You could then use that to teach the proper discreet codes to certain buttons. May be a bit tricky, but I'd wager it's possible.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
You can indeed get discrete codes into one of the One for All remotes, but it will require one that has a "JP1" connector, a "JP1" cord and some use of spreadsheets on your computer. I know there are discrete codes that work this way because I have tried them (although I don't own this plasm, I was thinking of buying it.). Then you can indeed use the OFA remote to provide the signal to learn to your Sony.

SMK

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys... as it happens, I do have one of the Radio Shack JP1-capable remotes (no cable though) that I use with my PC since it doesn't have enough memory available to learn everything I'd need to teach it for my HT stuff. I can't believe that it never occurred to me to use this remote to download the discrete codes and then teach them in turn to my Sony remote... either you guys are geniuses, or I'm an idiot - I'll settle for a little of both! :)

Looks like its time to buy a JP1 cable...

Thanks again!

Descolada

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quick update... I posted a follow-up question in the TH42PA20 Discrete IR Codes thread to try to get this to work using my 15-2104 remote with advanced codes to see if I could get where I wanted without a JP1 cable. Then I did a little more digging and was able to find a code for the Video1 input, got that into my 15-2104 remote, taught it to my VL900, and rebuilt the macro to switch to my cable box on the S-Video connection. This was the most annoying problem to solve since getting to the S-Video input required moving through all of the other inputs first the way I had it set up before.

So I'm not out of the woods yet (still need to figure something out for the component and DVI inputs), but it looks like I'm on the right track... thanks again Moebius and RoyGBiv for giving me a gentle nudge in the right direction...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.