AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice on a switching nightmare I am soon to face. I preface this by saying my challenge is to make the setup friendly, that is, usable by my mere mortal family.

The destination is a new Panny 42" plasma (TWD4UY) which has a single set of component inputs, one "S" video input and a VGA input - each has a set of L/R RCA audio inputs. I will use speakers connected to the Panny's internal amp in this instance, to support the KISS goal.

The sources: (each has normal RCA L/R audio in this scenario)

RCA DCT100, which I use for HTDV via the RGB port into a transcoder, and the "S" video output for normal DirectTV and cable.

ExpressVu 6000, which I use the component output for HDTV and sometimes the "S" video for general viewing.

Progressive scan DVD player, which uses component outputs.

Question: how the heck can I make this easy to use without incorporating an external receiver or preamp which has multiple inputs and outputs, etc?

Is there sch a thing as an auto-sensing switch capable of switching three (or more) component videos WITH audio associated to each, to one component (with audio) out? And, to do the same with the "S" video and associated audio?

This is making me crazy. Thanks for any insight or pointers.

regards,

patrick

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Patrick,

Yes...you are in a delemia. The best possible solution is to convert all of the sources to one single format...i.e. convert everything to VGA/RGB.

Unfortunately this is going to get expensive. It would require Component to VGA transcoders on each source and at $300 each which doesn't include the VGA switcher...you are approaching $1,500.

Looking at the reverse, it might be a lot less expensive because you have 3 sources of which two are Component and the third is VGA/RGB. Getting a VGA to Component transcoder is less expensive (less than $200) and can be bought from www.audioauthority.com.

If you do a search on Component Switchers you will come up with some choices. The only problem I see is converting S-Video to Component. I don't know of a simple soultion for that. But you can get inexpensive S-Video switchers so you would have to have 2 switchers...one for Component and one for S-Video.

NOW......you can go to a Intergrated Receiver that will do all three switching...audio, S-Video and Component. They are not inexpensive and run around $1500 to $2500 but also include all your audio processors like DD and DTS and Pro Logic and such.

Just some ideas to your problem

Lee

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
I'll second what Lee offers up, and add that a good programmable remote (eg. Pronto) can make all the difference in the world. And to really do it up big time, a Crestron or AMX control system (with positive feedback, color RF touchpanels, etc.) will make even the most complicated system user friendly.

As Microsoft proved, user interface can make all the difference in the world.

Another way to proceed is to set up the system for use by your family and only use the more complicated aspects of it yourself. I combine this approach with the programmable remote, for my own situation.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

[This message has been edited by Ken H (edited 08-28-2001).]

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good thoughts from both of you.

Compromise is the key in this case, I believe. Somewhere in the middle is the solution. On one hand combining as many of the inputs into a standard format and switching them is a solid idea. At the same time, being pragmatic and making it easy for the functions myt family primarily uses may reduce this to a more reasonable burn rate.

Then again, the notion of being practical eludes me!

Key Digital makes a nice component/audio switcher for example. I'll also look into the concept of component into VGA conversion.

If the Panny handles the RCA Din15 output OK in terms of formatting it gets much more easy as I'll shoot the RCA into that alone. This will leave me with a pair of component and a pair of S outputs to pipe.

Thanks for your insights. I appreciate it.

patrick

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.