AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I hopefully have a simple question for everyone. How hard/what is involved in switching out different projector units? I am going to be building my house soon with a dedicated HT and I have a budget projector at the moment (Optoma HD20) that I have used, but never actually mounted (I think it is a great unit for the price, but I don't have anything else to compare to). I would like to go ahead and mount the projector when the house and HT room is being built, and later save up for a higher-end unit. I would rather spend my $ on better subwoofers then buy a high-end projector right now. I have seen there are projector calculators to help you mount the units for optimum results etc. So my question is, if I mounted the Optoma and ran the cables etc. accordingly, and then switched to a different unit, would I possibly end up needing to mount the new unit in a different location? Thanks for all the guidance and help. If it is too much of a headache I might just get the higher-end unit now and switch the subs out later.

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt61443  /t/1524461/switching-projector-units/0_40#post_24534445

if I mounted the Optoma and ran the cables etc. accordingly, and then switched to a different unit, would I possibly end up needing to mount the new unit in a different location?

Maybe, it happened to me. But probably not.

Pick the top three on your short list if you bought a new projector today, calculate the mounting position of each and look for a location that would work for all three. Compare that to the Optoma and if it works there you have a pretty high probability that whatever you pick in the future, even newer units will work in your position.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC  /t/1524461/switching-projector-units#post_24534824

Maybe, it happened to me. But probably not.

Pick the top three on your short list if you bought a new projector today, calculate the mounting position of each and look for a location that would work for all three. Compare that to the Optoma and if it works there you have a pretty high probability that whatever you pick in the future, even newer units will work in your position.

THanks BMDC. Pardon my ignorance but when I go to the projector central website and input which projectors I am interested in, is the "throw range" the distance at which the projector should be mounted? The website lists 15 ft. for my Optoma. It lists 16ft 6 inches for the Epson 5030UB (one of my top choices at the moment). So does then mean if I mounted the optoma at 15 ft, the Epson would be ok? (meaning i could have the espon closer at15 ft? But not the other way round...say I mounted the Epson at 16 6 and then tried the Optoma at that distance and it would be too far? Thanks for all your help. Hope you understand what I'm asking lol.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually don't know what size my screen will be.
Are there any other variables I am missing or do you have a good source for me to read? I know this should be basic stuff, but it is new to me. For what it is worth, I'm attaching my upstairs room layout (contractor breaks ground tomorrow!
). I just added "rough placement" of speakers throughout. My plans are to make the screen as large as possible and go the spandex AT route. Thanks again.
SECONDFLOORSpeakers.pdf 204k .pdf file

Attachments

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,906 Posts
On the projection central calculator, set the screen size on the right and in the upper left is throw range box with a pointer in the middle. The numbers in the top and bottom of that box define the possible range to the lens not the mount.

Start wth your room layout. plan seating locations and distance to the screen, then define your possible screen sizes. then your projector location. If you are trying to define it now, just take a dart and throw it at the ceiling near the back of the room

1 - 7 of 7 Posts