AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for a switch that has one input and two outputs....

here the setup I have two TVs in same room one plasma 50 and one 32 lcd.

ps3 would feed plasma with blueray through reciever via component and digital audio.

ps3 would also feed 32 lcd with gaming and sound through component 5 wires...

need a switch that would take one component in and be able to decide which tv to send it too. and off course handle HD 1080i and no degration..

searching for switches for days and not coming up with much.Want to do this so i dont have to keep changing cables and son wont burn in plasma...

thanks in advance

·
Registered
779 Posts
If I understand your requirements, you don't need a switch rather you need a distribution amp.

Basically, distribution amps are the correct way to "split" component and SPDIF. So with a DA you get one source sent to multiple displays / audio processors.
Code:
Code:
Source ----> Distribution Amp ---> Display1
                              ---> Display2
If you require switching meaning you have more than one output device PS3 and a STB for example, but don't care if the same signal goes to all displays, you need a component switch and a distribution amp. This allows you to select 1 sources and send it to all displays.

Code:
Code:
Source 1 ---> Switch---> Distribution Amp ---> Display1
Source 2 --->                             ---> Display2
Lastly if you want to independantly send multiple devices 1 to many displays independantly, you need a matrix switch. This is what I have. A matrix switch is basically the blending of a switch and a distribution amp. In a matrix switch you can map any one source to n displays/audio processors. I have an old Autopatch 1ydm if I recall correctly that I picked off of ebay ~ 10 years ago but there are newer products.
Code:
Code:
Source 1 --->                 ---> Display1
Source 2 --->  Switch Matrix  ---> Display2
Source n --->                 ---> Display n
As far as vendors, there are lots of inexpensive DA and switches out there that should work find for SPDIF and component video up to 1080i and even 1080p if your display can take that on component. Matrix the price goes up,but lots of options even the used space on ebay. FYI you might need to purchase a format converter for the Toslink connector off your PS3. The PS3 is Toslink only, so you can get an inexpensive converter from radioshack that converts the optical to coax, there is no loss, it is just a format converter. Once you have the audio in coax spdif it routes fine over every 75 ohm DA, Switch or Matrix switch I have used. In my home my y1dm was originality build to be RGBHV, I use the RGB for YPbPr and the H for spdif v is unused at this time. I have ran this enviroment for ~ 9 or 10 years now, the great thing about component and spdif is it just works. I have a DD/DTS receiver/amp in each room to decode the audio, with the exception of my bedroom display which has an digital audio input, so it does not require an external audio processor.

Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.