AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have been perusing through the forums and I've decided I'm going to take the plunge and go the projector route with my setup. The room is light controlled and I will not have any issues keeping the room as dark as possible. I have done a sketch of my media room but here are the details of my current equipment that I'll be reusing:

Home A/V Equipment:

Onkyo TX-SR805

Xbox 360

Wii

HTPC

Uverse STB

Speakers:

Elemental Designs A6.t Tower Speakers (L/R)

Elemental Designs A6.mtm (center channel)

Elemental Designs A4.b (Rear L/R)

I have all of my media backed up onto my network and I stream blu-ray and dvd rips to my HTPC. I currently have a Sony 60a3000 as my main in the room.

Room Dimension: 21' (width) x 15' (length) x 9' (height)

NOTE: Usable room width is 18' as 3' is used up by the stairway

Viewing Distance: 13'

Projector Throw: ~14'

Projector Height: ?

My ceiling comes in a bit on the edges so my walls are actually 8' high. The 9' height is from the center of the room and the ceiling concaves in towards the edges. I also have a ceiling fan in the center but may look to remove it to allow for easier placement of the projector.

I am looking at a 16:9 110" screen. Need suggestions on a projector but I am willing to wait after Cedia to make a purchase. My viewing will be 50% HD TV shows; 30% Sports; 10% Movies (Blu-ray/DVD through HTPC); 10% gaming.

In the pictures below I would like to mount the projector on the wall on center above the couch.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd look to shelf mount the projector above my sectional. Read that the Benq W6000 is quite flexible to mount. Is this a good projector? Also I'd be happy for a 106" 16:9 screen without having to do any major mods to my room.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I have an Epson 8500UB in a room smaller then yours producing an image of 110"s. I hear the Benq is pretty nice as well. Really most projectors in your price range should produce a great image at that size.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch1 /forum/post/20898480

I have an Epson 8500UB in a room smaller then yours producing an image of 110"s. I hear the Benq is pretty nice as well. Really most projectors in your price range should produce a great image at that size.

Thanks for the feedback. Now I am throwing the HC4000 into the mix as well. I know this one is a bit pickier in to how it can be mounted but I hope it can work with my setup.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Look at the new Epson 3100 if you would like 3D. You will want to center your shelf with the screen, and may want to decide at ahat height to place it once you pick a projector.

I require lens shift, since my only decent mounting locaiton is about a foot to the right and a foot above the center of the screen.

Any thought to rotating that room? I'd think about couch in front of windows with a bit of space behind it for sound to bounce around and a ceiling mount. Just a thought.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespurgeon /forum/post/20899372

Look at the new Epson 3100 if you would like 3D. You will want to center your shelf with the screen, and may want to decide at ahat height to place it once you pick a projector.

I require lens shift, since my only decent mounting locaiton is about a foot to the right and a foot above the center of the screen.

Any thought to rotating that room? I'd think about couch in front of windows with a bit of space behind it for sound to bounce around and a ceiling mount. Just a thought.

I have thought of that configuration, though not sure how to hang the screen. That would be interesting as there is a partial wall on one side where the stairway is. I am currently looking at rotating and putting the couch a few feet in front of the partial wall (just in front of the restroom door). I'd either do a ceiling mount or shelf mount which ever works better and provides more projector options.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by utee05 /forum/post/0

Hi All,

I have been perusing through the forums and I've decided I'm going to take the plunge and go the projector route with my setup. The room is light controlled and I will not have any issues keeping the room as dark as possible. I have done a sketch of my media room but here are the details of my current equipment that I'll be reusing:

Home A/V Equipment:

Onkyo TX-SR805

Xbox 360

Wii

HTPC

Uverse STB

Speakers:

Elemental Designs A6.t Tower Speakers (L/R)

Elemental Designs A6.mtm (center channel)

Elemental Designs A4.b (Rear L/R)

I have all of my media backed up onto my network and I stream blu-ray and dvd rips to my HTPC. I currently have a Sony 60a3000 as my main in the room.

Room Dimension: 21' (width) x 15' (length) x 9' (height)

NOTE: Usable room width is 18' as 3' is used up by the stairway

Viewing Distance: 13'

Projector Throw: ~14'

Projector Height: ?

My ceiling comes in a bit on the edges so my walls are actually 8' high. The 9' height is from the center of the room and the ceiling concaves in towards the edges. I also have a ceiling fan in the center but may look to remove it to allow for easier placement of the projector.

I am looking at a 16:9 110" screen. Need suggestions on a projector but I am willing to wait after Cedia to make a purchase. My viewing will be 50% HD TV shows; 30% Sports; 10% Movies (Blu-ray/DVD through HTPC); 10% gaming.

In the pictures below I would like to mount the projector on the wall on center above the couch.

Added new pic of the partial wall near the stairs.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by utee05 /forum/post/20899859

I have thought of that configuration, though not sure how to hang the screen. That would be interesting as there is a partial wall on one side where the stairway is. I am currently looking at rotating and putting the couch a few feet in front of the partial wall (just in front of the restroom door). I'd either do a ceiling mount or shelf mount which ever works better and provides more projector options.

OK, Partial wall kind of changes things. Unless you want to extend it up to the ceiling a pull-down screen is all that would work there.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So from reading other threads the projectors that caught my interest are the HC4000 and the Optoma HD33. The HD33 would mainly be for the 'just in case' option of having 3D. I'd like to have a projector that has good IQ and handles sports and fast moving scenes so DLP would be preferred. Also I am open to various mounting methods. Still currently stuck in the current configuration but hopefully the wife will come around and be open to changing it a bit.

·
Registered
15,488 Posts
I would not rule out the Epson 3010, at least until we have some more reviews, and this is coming from someone that heavily pushes the Mits hc4000 over the Epson 8350.

The Epson 3010 is supposed to ship in October, we should have some reviews come in on it within a week or two though.

Just don't pre-judge, it would be cool if the Epson 3010 suprises us, but who knows. It will have the new D9 panels, and it will have 3D (well the 3d version anyways). I am most worried about sharpness with the new Epson's, hopefully this has been improved a little.

Last year's LCD's were virtually free of motion issues for sports, some people claimed to still see them, but it's REAL hard on any of the $2k+ LCD's especially after CFI on low, and for gaming sure you can still get better on a DLP, but it is also projector specific to how the DLP processes the image.

Sharpness and convergence always concerns me more vs. DLP when talking about an LCD. I am more concerned about motion issues when comparing LCOS to DLP than I am with LCD to DLP, there can still be some concern, but it's usually very minimal.

My guess is this year's LCD's have all but completely eliminated the motion issues, but not sure if they are any better than last years (which almost had them eliminated as well).

·
Registered
105 Posts
Don't underestimate how difficult finding the proper mounting locations for certain projectors without lens shift can be! Such as the Mistubishi HC4000 which is a great projector (prob best one for the money) but is an absolute pain to mount anywhere other than the ceiling dead center of the room.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I do not think I will have trouble being able to mount the projector dead center. For the HC4000 it has to be dead center of the screen correct? Also would it be better to mount to the ceiling or on a shelf?

·
Registered
105 Posts
it has digital keystone so as long as you mount it in the center (horizontally) the vertical adjustments can me made by tipping it frontward or backward - very slightly if needed and using keystone correction to compensate for the screen shape. I'm sure someone will come on here and say "Never use digital keystone because you'll loose picture quality." You can get away with using it if its only a small amount you'll never notice a few pixels that are lost. I shelf mounted mine without problems. Only reason I returned my HC4000 was due to rainbow effect.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think I am getting closer to getting a HC4000 assuming it works for my setup. I like the price and I can set the projector at the center of the screen. Is there a mount that will work on a slanted ceiling? I would want to mount this as high as possible on my and still get close to a 15' throw.

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemansfanatic /forum/post/20917966

Don't underestimate how difficult finding the proper mounting locations for certain projectors without lens shift can be! Such as the Mistubishi HC4000 which is a great projector (prob best one for the money) but is an absolute pain to mount anywhere other than the ceiling dead center of the room.
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee05 /forum/post/20917983

I do not think I will have trouble being able to mount the projector dead center. For the HC4000 it has to be dead center of the screen correct? Also would it be better to mount to the ceiling or on a shelf?

You can eliminate much of that by going with a good Chief mount and using a lateral shift plate. If you wish more information, email or call.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have decided to rotate the room 90 degrees clockwise and will now be facing the windows. I'll probably get a drop down projector as I do not think the wife we all me to plug the windows, but we'll see. So now this gives me 9' ceiling and I can get as far back as 18' of throw. From measure I will have a 14' viewing distance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.