AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased 2 SONY SAT-T60 DirectTV TIVO machines and will be upgrading them this evening with an additional 120gb drive...

As a result of this, I have 2 RCA UTVs that I would like to sell...One is currently in use, the other is still in it's original box and has never been opened...Both have remote controls, access cards, and RCA IR Keyboard...

What are these worth? Anyone interested in purchasing them?

My reason for the switch is that I just like the TIVO user interface better than UTV...Just a matter of preference...I also like the lower monthly fees with DirectTV...Since I have the max programming package, all I have to pay is the mirroring fee of 5.00...No TIVO fee at all as long as I keep the minimum programming...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Check out Ebay.. you could probably get $225+ for each.

·
Registered
233 Posts
the new-in-box one will go for over $300, the other for something between $225 and $275

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies...

I just checked out ebay...Looks like any where from $200-300...

Any ideal how much more they would be worth if I installed a 120gb drive and upgraded the units...

I just got back from my local CC and they have the WD1200AB drives for $99 after a $30 rebate from WD...That would put the capacity at 105 hours?

I only saw one of these in the ebay completed auctions, but I do not think it sold...There is one active auction now for a 105 UTV RCA, but it still has a few days to go and is only up to $192.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Upgraded units seem to not go for appreciably more than stock UTV's on ebay. I guess maybe people are afraid of the upgrade.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I would not bother with the upgrades. If someone wants the extra recording time they can easily do it themselves and keep the old drive as a bonus. You won't make any more off the units with the upgrade performed. I tried selling an upgraded unit some months ago thinking the same thing that people would pay more for more space and the fact they wouldn't need to perform the work themselves. It did not pan out for me and very few others have tried.

What seems to sell the best is the brand new and never used stuff. They'll do well, especially with the access cards in them. All those hackers out there can't seem to get enough of the UTV and TiVO devices. Why else would they be willing to fork over so much more for them?

Sell them as is and enjoy your profit.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by greenwing
Thanks for the replies...

I just checked out ebay...Looks like any where from $200-300...

Any ideal how much more they would be worth if I installed a 120gb drive and upgraded the units...

I just got back from my local CC and they have the WD1200AB drives for $99 after a $30 rebate from WD...That would put the capacity at 105 hours?

I only saw one of these in the ebay completed auctions, but I do not think it sold...There is one active auction now for a 105 UTV RCA, but it still has a few days to go and is only up to $192.
Chances are pretty good that it is a "bonus" upgraded 7200 drive. But as was stated, you'd probably be throwing your money away anyway.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by restart88
Chances are pretty good that it is a "bonus" upgraded 7200 drive. But as was stated, you'd probably be throwing your money away anyway.
No...The drive labels all say WD1200ABRTL...And there was no paper in the boxes indicating the "bonus" upgrade...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.