AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been "toying" with the idea of switching to Dish Network for a while now, and it looks like I might, since I just checked out their site and can get their Everything Pack with all HD channels and an HD-DVR (one tuner only, kind of sucks) for about $10 more than I'm paying for Comcast right now. I've got a some questions though.

There's another thread here stating that Dish Network lowers the resolution of their channels and also the bit rate. I understand what the downrezzing does, but never have experienced it, and would like to know if I'll see a big loss in performance. My TV is a 26" LCD TV with a 1366x768 resolution. Also, what does lowering a bit rate do exactly?

And, will I receive locals in HD too?

Sorry if they're obvious questions, but I'm still kind of new to this whole HDTV thing, especially with Dish Network.

Thanks a lot for the help.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Dish's 942 HD-DVR has three tuners (2 SAT and 1 OTA). It allows you to record three shows at one time. I recommend leasing the 942.

I have Dish and the HD PQ is fantastic. I have the HD pack and the Voom channels and they all look great.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I wanted to do that, but on the site it lists the 942 as $250. Is that the purchase price or do you have to pay that, plus the DVR fee?

·
Registered
838 Posts
I think you asked about the locals, also. Yes, you do get the locals, but they aren't in HD yet. That may influence your decision as well.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Damn they aren't in HD...So what would be my option then? Get an OTA antenna?

Thanks for the replies, btw.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
yeah dish only has cbs on the satellites if you live in the right area (dont know id san fran is an O&O station). OTA antenna is your only option for the rest of the locals.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How much is an OTA antenna? Only channels I'd really want are FOX, NBC, and ABC. PBS doesn't really matter too much and neither do WB and UPN.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
You can get cheap set top antennas for $9.99 or you can pay up to $300 for a huge roof top antenna with a preamp. Lots of good roof top antennas in the $50-$100 range. It depends on your situation relative to the local transmitters.

Rick R

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have just signed up for Dish and plan on getting the basic HD receiver. Other than the abilty to record, is there any advantage to the 942 receiver? One of the reasons that I chose Dish over DirecTv was the lack of any upfront costs. Further, I have never used a Tivo type device and do not anticipate a need to record shows.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_R
You can get cheap set top antennas for $9.99 or you can pay up to $300 for a huge roof top antenna with a preamp. Lots of good roof top antennas in the $50-$100 range. It depends on your situation relative to the local transmitters.

Rick R
I actually live in an apartment building, but we have a deck on which we'll probably going to put the OTA antenna. Is that fine? Also, could someone give a link to some good ones?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23
I actually live in an apartment building, but we have a deck on which we'll probably going to put the OTA antenna. Is that fine? Also, could someone give a link to some good ones?
Start with antennaweb.org , sort out the digital stations (HD) and post your results here. That will give everyone some details so that they can make suggestions.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
According to that site, the stations I can get are:

* yellow - uhf KTVU-DT 2.1 FOX OAKLAND CA 95° 3.4 56

* yellow - uhf KFSF-DT 66.1 TFA VALLEJO CA 95° 3.4 34

* yellow - uhf KQED-DT 9.1 PBS SAN FRANCISCO CA 95° 3.4 30

* yellow - uhf KMTP-DT 32.1 IND SAN FRANCISCO CA 95° 3.4 33

* yellow - uhf KRON-DT 4.1 IND SAN FRANCISCO CA 95° 3.4 57

* yellow - uhf KTSF-DT 26.1 IND SAN FRANCISCO CA 129° 7.2 27

* yellow - uhf KBWB-DT 20.1 WB SAN FRANCISCO CA 95° 3.4 19

* yellow - uhf KGO-DT 7.1 ABC SAN FRANCISCO CA 95° 3.4 24

* yellow - uhf KPIX-DT 5.1 CBS SAN FRANCISCO CA 96° 3.4 29

* yellow - uhf KKPX-DT 65.1 PAX SAN JOSE CA 129° 7.2 41

* yellow - uhf KCNS-DT 38.1 SAH SAN FRANCISCO CA 95° 3.4 39

* yellow - uhf KCSM-DT 43.1 PBS SAN MATEO CA 95° 3.4 43

* green - uhf KBHK-DT 44.1 UPN SAN FRANCISCO CA 95° 3.4 45

Can't get NBC where I'm at via a regular antenna either, so guess no NBC...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23
According to that site, the stations I can get are:

* yellow - uhf KTVU-DT 2.1 FOX OAKLAND CA 95° 3.4 56

* yellow - uhf KFSF-DT 66.1 TFA VALLEJO CA 95° 3.4 34

* yellow - uhf KQED-DT 9.1 PBS SAN FRANCISCO CA 95° 3.4 30

* yellow - uhf KMTP-DT 32.1 IND SAN FRANCISCO CA 95° 3.4 33

* yellow - uhf KRON-DT 4.1 IND SAN FRANCISCO CA 95° 3.4 57

* yellow - uhf KTSF-DT 26.1 IND SAN FRANCISCO CA 129° 7.2 27

* yellow - uhf KBWB-DT 20.1 WB SAN FRANCISCO CA 95° 3.4 19

* yellow - uhf KGO-DT 7.1 ABC SAN FRANCISCO CA 95° 3.4 24

* yellow - uhf KPIX-DT 5.1 CBS SAN FRANCISCO CA 96° 3.4 29

* yellow - uhf KKPX-DT 65.1 PAX SAN JOSE CA 129° 7.2 41

* yellow - uhf KCNS-DT 38.1 SAH SAN FRANCISCO CA 95° 3.4 39

* yellow - uhf KCSM-DT 43.1 PBS SAN MATEO CA 95° 3.4 43

* green - uhf KBHK-DT 44.1 UPN SAN FRANCISCO CA 95° 3.4 45

Can't get NBC where I'm at via a regular antenna either, so guess no NBC...
Well, it looks like you're in luck. You can probably get away with almost any small indoor antenna. You can check the forums here for suggestions but you might just want to get something cheap from the local Radio Shack and see what happens. You can always return it or swap it out if it doesn't work.

Check the San Fran OTA HT thread but I think I remember reading somewhere (maybe another site like HDVoice) that there is no local NBC affiliate broadcasting an HD signal in your area.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by russellps
Check the San Fran OTA HT thread but I think I remember reading somewhere (maybe another site like HDVoice) that there is no local NBC affiliate broadcasting an HD signal in your area.
KNTV CH11 is the NBC station in the bay area but it is currently broadcasting from Mt Loma Prieta south of San Jose and is VHF actual channel 12.

They are currently building a new tower in San Bruno so hopefully we will be able to pick up NBC soon. Will still be VHF actual channel so an antenna able to pick high VHF will still be necessary. I have a large multiple bowtie from Channel Master which is able to pick up VHF12 and I think I was able to get it on a Silver Sensor.

Estimate completion is 'sometime this fall'.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Don't switch to Dish. I did, and I am regretting it.

First, the 942's OTA tuner just plain sucks. It is much weaker than the tuner that came with my TV.

Second, they won't switch to MPEG4 for quite some time, which likely means no HD locals over satellite. Whereas DirecTv is currently doing so, I hear San Fran is very soon.

Third, to get VOOM you have to pay an additional $99 for install and an additional $5 a month.

Fourth, their DVR is a joke compared to Tivo, no comarison at all.

Go to dbstalk.com and read through the forums for DISH and the 942...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.