AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's on HBO-HD right now... is it OAR? It seems to me that it is cropped, but I can't tell for sure. I forget if the DVD was 1.85 or 2.35.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, but what's the difference?

It looks like a good transfer to me. Up there with Judge Dredd except it's not OAR.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Super35 films are shot on stock wider than 2.35, but then has the top and bottom of the frame cropped. Super35 movies shown on HBO-HD are generally uncropped, so you see the movie as it was in the theater, plus the top and bottom of the frame that the director/editor cut for the theatrical release.

Here's a good page explaining many different aspect ratios. Super35 is explained near the bottom of the link.

In any regard, Swordfish is not a Super35 film, and its aspect ratio is 2.35:1, according to the IMDB.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by imdoug
Super35 films are shot on stock wider than 2.35, but then has the top and bottom of the frame cropped. Super35 movies shown on HBO-HD are generally uncropped, so you see the movie as it was in the theater, plus the top and bottom of the frame that the director/editor cut for the theatrical release.
The "35mm" in 35mm film stock describes the width. There is only one size. How you frame what you photograph onto it is determined by other factors, but the film stock is exactly the same. There are other threads here where Super 35 is explained in detail.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.