AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, thanks to Robert George I got a chance to watch Swordfish.

A couple things here, I used to love over-the-top action flicks, but in recent years have found myself liking them less and less...on the other side, I've always liked John Travolta, sure he's made some stinkers, but very few can play the overconfident, cocky, bad guy like he can.

This movie is no exception, he is very good in this role, Halle Berry provides a bit of eye candy, and a nice performance, Hugh Jackman is good...and the little girl who plays his daughter it excellent!!!

The action is fast and furious, of coarse way over the top...the opening scene will make you flinch. At times the action is way out in left field (witness the car chase) but if you like this type movie, this will be right up your alley.

The Transfer is top notch, very sharp, and NO EE.

The director's choice of lighting and filters leaves alot to be desired (IMHO) The overall color balance pushes toward brown...alot like the Godfather's. Very few scenes use normal lighting...it's almost like an old Michael Mann movie!

The sound is also first rate, as you'd expect from something like this.

Would I buy this title? No

Would I rent it once...Yes!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Swordfish has a spectacular opening sequence (except for Pul Fictionish reference to Dog Day Afternoon-unneccessary)- but the rest of the film seems to muddle from action sequence to action sequence (and all the time throwing computer-faux lingo at us-please)

The ending was just a quick gimmick to end the movie and make Travolta not that bad of a guy.

-

I agree with KennyG.

Rent it? Yes

Buy it? no

·
Registered
360 Posts
Well my own reasoning for wanting to see that DVD would be that opening scene with that HUGE explosion to see how my system handles it and #2 HALLE BERRY!..Enough Said!!! :)..lol

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I thought Swordfish was a pretty good movie overall. The first 10 minutes were incredible and the mixed action throughout was pretty exciting as well. I think Halle Berry is way overrated and that whole topless scene was completely unnecessary and seemed very forced. Other than that I liked the movie and will buy it.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I haven't seen this one yet but I will. I follow a certain logic for action movies as to whether or not I will buy:

(Travolta OR Willis OR Snipes OR SL Jackson) AND (guns a blazing OR vehicles and people defying the laws of physics) AND (eye pleasing female lead OR interesting action choreography) AND a close resemblance to a story = DVD purchase by Jerome

Sure, I have sophisticated tastes in movies. ;) I can even appreciate a thinking person's film now and again. But (and I am quoting myself here) "There is something to be said for watching Arnold Schwarznegger single-handedly mow down an entire army in Commando."

--Jerome

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gee...where have I heard that quote before??? ;)

Well, I'd say it's better than commando...lately I find myself drawn to more adult type action movies, like Proof of Life.

Halle is fine, but Travolta is the real reason to see this one.

I also think that the events of Sept 11 make this a bit hard to take...suddenly you can see these type things happening and it's not funny.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Yeah, I agree that Commando is a stinker but it has its own sort of charm. (Did I just say that? Charm??)

Oh well, time to go fill out my Arnie collection and pick up The Running Man. :D

I agree with your take on Travolta.

--Jerome

·
Registered
51 Posts
This is an over budget movie driven by the fact that Hollywood can make great explosions.

The first ten minutes of this movie are top notch. The explosion has got to be rated as one of the finest ever. Sound quality (DVD, 5.1) is excellent. An excellent scene to truly impress your friends and yourself with your home theater. Really, just turn the movie off now, since any thought put into the movie ends here.

Everything else is horrid.

The Halle Berry scene is obviously just a cheap trick to get males into the theater. The action after the beginning leaves everything to be desired, creativity included. And the ending is a lame attempt at wrapping things up while attempting to make you think (it fails).

Unfortunatly the opening scene is so great, I think I might have to buy this piece of garbage anyway.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by brianspearman
This is an over budget movie driven by the fact that Hollywood can make great explosions.
There are times that I can appreciate a movie with the explos-o-meter pegged.

Quote:
The Halle Berry scene is obviously just a cheap trick to get males into the theater.
And I'll bet it worked, too.

--Jerome

·
Registered
263 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jsaliga
I haven't seen this one yet but I will. I follow a certain logic for action movies as to whether or not I will buy:

(Travolta OR Willis OR Snipes OR SL Jackson) AND (guns a blazing OR vehicles and people defying the laws of physics) AND (eye pleasing female lead OR interesting action choreography) AND a close resemblance to a story = DVD purchase by Jerome

Sure, I have sophisticated tastes in movies. ;) I can even appreciate a thinking person's film now and again. But (and I am quoting myself here) "There is something to be said for watching Arnold Schwarznegger single-handedly mow down an entire army in Commando."

--Jerome
Ditto, what he said ;)

I guess I have to go visit my dealer for a fix. Besides I'll blame you guys, if the wife is not amused.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Ok. I just watched this movie and for the most part I agree with Kenny. What really bugged me about this flick is the same thing that bothers me about every movie that has strong technological (read computers) overtones. I got the impression when the script was being crafted the writers sat down with a copy of "Computer Jargon for Dummies" and thought that if they could sprinkle technical sounding terms throughout the movie then it would sound cool and sophisticated. Perhaps I am more sensitive to this than most because I am a network engineer and large part of my work is with security products.

I about choked when Halle Berry commented about how their tripple DES encryption allow them to access multiple networks at once. I got news for the producers, I can access multiple networks at once without running 3-DES--its called the internet. Then they go on to make it sound as though 128-bit encryption was something exotic (a Windows NT 4.0 Server feature). Well, enough ranting.

Otherwise I thought the movie was entertaining and I don't regret buying the DVD. Halle Berry, as usual, provided nice eye candy as a diversion to Travolta's anitcs. The ending in my view in which we learn of Travolta's true role is not to convince us that he is not that bad of a guy. I think it was a failed attempt to deliver a message to the audience about who the bad guys really are, even guys who are commiting great wrongs in the name of good.

A good movie to watch when you don't want to think too much about the story and its potential message.

--Jerome

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Quote:
I about choked when Halle Berry commented about how their tripple DES encryption allow them to access multiple networks at once. I got news for the producers, I can access multiple networks at once without running 3-DES--its called the internet.
Yeah, my friends and I were laughing about that one for weeks after seeing the movie in the theater :D Also, you have to love how the character named Torvolds is the most dangerous hacker in the world. There were so many more little things to laugh about, but I can't remember all of them since I haven't seen it in 5 months.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jerome, I should have mentioned that you'd probably find alot wrong with the computer jargon, and the movies use of said computers.

I've always found that when I have friends who are experts in a field that is portrayed in a movie they can always pick it apart.

You'd think that they'd hire a consultant for these things.

I'd bet they could hand you all the pages that deal with computers and their use, and within two hours you could tell them what is incorrect and how to fix it...but I suppose attention to detail has never been a strong suit of Hollywood.

·
Registered
27,014 Posts
Don't gloss over that Halle Berry scene too quickly.

Lets not forget, we are primal men.

Jeff

·
Registered
912 Posts
After about 30+ minutes, I turned this DVD off. This movie was vile.

Travolta's character seems to have given over to his human desires and the sad part is that everyone wants to be him.

I didn't like the constant skin and inuendo throughout just the first half hour.

Too bad, this one had potential beyond godless hedonism.

OUT

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
McPatrickClan,

Did you not see the trailer? Precisely what sort of film were you expecting?

--Jerome

·
Registered
912 Posts
I certainly didn't expect "live" simulated sex in the first twenty minutes. I mean, the chick...

Anyway, I have felt the presence of evil before and this movie was clearly not for those of us who do not need to delve into a hedonistic existence.

OUT

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Well,

That eliminates roughly 60% of the films coming out of Hollywood these days.

To each his own.

--Jerome

·
Registered
912 Posts
Tell me about it. Hollywood is saturated with people I certainly don't see eye to eye with.

OUT

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And perhaps that is a good thing, if we all saw eye to eye with hollywood it would be a boring landscape wouldn't it?

Can you name me one violent movie that shouldn't...or wouldn't be considered "evil"?

To be sure, the little "trick" used to "blow" Jackman's concentration was a little surprising...kinda like the scene cut from the movie Salvador. ;)

Technically this pursuit of HT is "godless hedonism"...so be careful how far you take it :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.