AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed two Sony UTVs this weekend, one in the living room and one in the bedroom. The two coax cables from the LNB are hooked to a sony switch that has 4 reciever outputs (coax). So i hooked the 4 outputs to the 2 UTVs (2 to each box for the dual tuners). THe Problem:

The UTV in the living room works fine, it sees the sat and even and odd transponders on both tuners.

The UTV in the bedroom only sees both even and odd transponders on one tuner, the other tuner only sees odd transponders. The signal is coming in good (like low 90s on the evens).

If i set the living room UTV to the dishpoint part where you see the sat signals on the tuners, the one in the bedroom will see all transponders on both tuners. It only happens when the living room UTV is in the dish pointing mode, if i take it off the dish point screen, the bedroom box looses its odd transponders on one tuner.

What could be the problem? i ran the switch test and it seemed to find everything ok. I checked the switch and everything was hooked into it ok. The swtich is in the attic so it gets hot, does heat affect the switches?

Thanks

-Dave

·
Registered
524 Posts
I would swap both receivers and see if the problem follows the receiver or not... then go from there...

Double check your configurations. dish type... etc..

Good luck.. ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
3.5 has been installed and the problem is still there. At first neither tuner was seeing odd transponders, but i hit the switch a couple times (like the Fonz) and then one tuner started getting the odd transponders, both always got the even.

It just seems weird to me that it works fine when the other reciever is set on the dish pointing screen, do they send different voltage to the swtich at this time?

thanks

-dave

·
Registered
94 Posts
I would guess that it may be a problem with the switch, but it could be a few other things; one of the LNB inputs may be a little weak, causing problems. You can try the receiver and/or cable swapping mentioned above, or, perhaps more simply, swap them at the switch -- swap both lines from the living room with both lines from the bedroom -- if the problem moves to the living room, it's probably a problem with the switch. If the problem stays in the bedroom, it may be a problem with the input line quality or the bedroom receiver.

Also, how is the signal strength for the odd transponders for the three "working" tuners? If the strength is weak, it's probably the input line quality. If it's a good signal (close to the Even signal strength), then I'm pretty sure it's a problem with the switch.

The multiswitch locks one of the LNB inputs to the even transponders, and the other to the odd; keeping this in mind should help with the troubleshooting.

Doug.

·
Registered
165 Posts
99% chance it's the ends on your cable. Did you make them? Try recrimping the ends...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did crimp the cables, so hopefully thats the problem. I'll try and switch the inputs on the back of the receiver to see if the problem follows the cable, if it doesn then i'll go and check/recrimp/recap the cables ends between the swtich and the UTV box.

thanks

-dave

·
Registered
106 Posts
I had a very similar problem. After switching out most of my cables, and replacing all connectors with no success, I went out and bought a cheap switch @BestBuy, and ALL my problems went away.

Although the switch is the least likely source of the problems, it does happen.

If the problem follows the cable when you try to switch the inputs, then the switch may be the problem.

The telling sign in your situation appears to be the fact that the tuner that does not see all the transponders until the other receiver is doing the switching. This is what I was seeing. In fact, I would often leave the 2nd receiver on a certain station, just so the "defective unit" could switch to a given channel for recording. :confused:

Now, even with that said, the problem could still be in the UTV itself. Occasionally a tuner is defective, and the inability to signal the transponder change is a symptom. You can try disconnecting everything from the suspect unit and leaving it unplugged for 15 minutes and see if that works.

You can also try the reset code for the UTV. I don't have it here, but you can search this forum forum for "reset codes" or call UTV support.

Good Luck.

Jeff

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds like my problem, i can get the bedroom box to work fine if i set the living room box to 'dish pointing'. How much did the Best Buy switch set you back? Are all Sony switches like this or should i try to exchange this one from where i bought it (minidishes.tv)? Do cable runs affect this? The living room UTV is about 75 of coax away but could be shortened (i didnt bother cutting and recaping the coax)

-dave

·
Registered
165 Posts
I would still check your cables first...make sure you use a good crimper and not twist on ends...I've heard of A LOT of wierd things happen, including what j3f said...

In j3f's situation, I read about a similar situation where it turned out the cable was bad...when he switches on his second receiver to a certain channel it sends the request and voltages up the line to lock onto a proper transponder. Now, here's the tricky part...

The first reciever that was having problems locking onto transponders had a bad crimp which was causing the ground to not connect properly and only see odd transponders. But, when the second receiver was set to even transponders and the voltage changed, and they all shared the same ground it somehow fixed the second reciever...very confusing stuff...recrimping the ends fixed this.

I'm not saying that j3f is wrong by any means...it very well could have been a bad switch. I'm just saying to double check your cables first...the reason a new switch might solve the problem is it might handle poor connections/voltage iregularities better...but again, j3f could be 100% right in that it's a bad switch. I'm just saying try the cheaper solution first.

-Ed

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll check the crimpings, my hands were getting tired at the end so maybe i didnt crimp one connection tight enough.

thanks for the explaination, the common grounding idea works for me.

-dave

·
Registered
248 Posts
I had the same problem, and it was my Terk multi-switch. I replaced it with a Spaun multi-switch and have not had any problems since.

Karl

·
Registered
106 Posts
Ed: Agreed that this type of problem is almost always a connector issue. In my case every connector and most of the cables were replaced a couple of weeks before I tried the new switch.

What convinced me to try a new switch was that while the problem was occurring (it was very intermittent), I put the UTV in dish pointing mode, turned up the sound so I could hear it and went out to the garage. When I had the connectors replaced, the installer screwed the switch into the wall and everything was secured tightly. I went to the LNB cable for the even transponders, the one that had given me these intermittent problems for the past 6 months, and very lightly touched the connector, and I could hear the signal go from zero up to strong strength and back. Since this cable and connectors had just been replaced, I decided to try the new switch.

Obviously, it could still be the cable/connector and the new switch is just more tolerant as you suggested, but so far, so good.

Dave: The BestBuy switch was $79, which is not that cheap price-wise but cheap construction-wise compared to the switch that came with my dish, or the good JVC switches which I plan to replace it with assuming my problem stays resolved after a few months.

Since the switch causing the problem is a very rare occurrence, you could try the BestBuy switch and if it doesn't fix the problem, just return it. But as Ed has suggested, do make sure it isn't a connector issue first.

Also, my cable runs are about 75 ft. as well, so length is probably not an issue. Some folks do like to use a powered multi-switch when the cable runs start getting close to 100 ft.

Jeff

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I swtiched cables on the utv and the problem follow the cable, so its not the UTV box. I'll have to get back into the attic and recrimp the cable and see if that fixes the problem (which i sure hope it does)

thanks for everyones help!

-dave

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thought I'd let everyone know what the problem turned out to be.

One tuner in the bedroom had been working for the last week or so, but last night it stopped working, only could see even transponders and couldnt get any guide info. So i went into the attic and looked at the switch figuring i'd have to recrimp the cables. It turned out that a single wire from the coax ground (the wire mesh stuff under the black rubber) did not get cut when i recapped the cable, it was touching the copper middle wire, so i used some needle nose plyers and pulled out the wire, hooked it up and it worked fine. I checked the other tuner cable and this had the same problem, so i fixed and and now both tuners work great.

just something to check if you have self-capped coax.

-dave

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.