AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using a Theta Six Shooter and am extremely pleased with it. I will wait for the HDMI upgrade to be released and based on its performance will then make a decision about using HDMI digital for multi channel or analog (or a hybrid - SACD analog, Blu Ray digital). Should I decide to go the analog route, it becomes a bit pointless to have 40 pound worth of a CBIII sitting in my rack doing Six Shooter controller duties, so I would consider finding a good alternative multi channel analog pre.

Although I won't be making this decision until I have heared Theta HDMI, it so happens a Switchman 3 has shown up for auction on audiogon. This would be one of the top contenders should I decide to go the analog route. If it goes dirt cheap I would consider buying it and keep it in storage until Theta HDMI/Analog decision time. Has anyone compared the switchman 3 with the six shooter - and if so what is the verdict?

·
Premium Member
7,246 Posts
I never got passed the wired remote of the Switchman. With the Six Shooter you have remote volume control. That's the only reason I have not tried the Switchman. It's already a hassle to deal with all of the analog cables and having another wire coming out of the remote was just toooo much.

·
Premium Member
7,246 Posts
I was thinking about which pre-amps remind me of the Six Shooter. I had the Placette passive pre-amp in to compare. That pre-amp sounds almost identical. Do not believe I could tell them apart if asked.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger /forum/post/18241082

I was thinking about which pre-amps remind me of the Six Shooter. I had the Placette passive pre-amp in to compare. That pre-amp sounds almost identical. Do not believe I could tell them apart if asked.

Charles Hansson is suggesting chaining three Placette as your best price performance bet for multi channel all analog preamp. I think if I end up staying with analog and foregoing the HDMI upgrade, i will probably keep the SS anyway. If I can sell my Xtreme cards at a reasonable price, this willl be by far the cheapest solution and probably at the same level of performance of a placette or switchman (+/- 10%). I would use the CBIII (downgraded to old superior cards) for my satelitte receiver. Bit bulky, but very cost effective.

·
Premium Member
7,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edorr /forum/post/18241124

Charles Hansson is suggesting chaining three Placette as your best price performance bet for multi channel all analog preamp. cost effective.

IMO the Six Shooter is the equal of the Placette. They sound identical to my ears. Most people just do not want to deal with the hassel of all the cables.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The switchman 3 (MSRP $8,500), just sold for $2020. Decided to pass anyway - if I stay with analog I'll keep the six shoooter. High end electronics makes Miami condo's look like a sound investment though - scary.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts