AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When going through the white balance adjustments, I found that I had two unbeforeseen green sparklies. They are not visible at or above 75% white but are most visible at 29 and 43%. At 14% they dim down a little and at 0% they ALMOST black out entirely.

If in fact the pixels were dead (i.e., always on), wouldn't they be just as bright at 0% white than at any other percent level. In fact, shouldn't they be MOST notable at 0% when the rest of the screen is dark?

When I purchaced my laptop 3 years ago, Dell sold several with a few bad LCD pixels (as did other manfactures), and there was talk of a program that would give your pixels a "work out", sometimes reviving lazy (or even dead) pixels. Does anyone know of this program and where it can be obtained? It would be easy to plug the laptop into the Hitachi to try and excercize the little buggers to see if that helps.

·
Registered
332 Posts
You might want to look at the spots very closely to determine their shape. I assume that an always on or off pixel would have a very distinct shape.

I have a couple of problems similar to yours, but I wouldn't use the term "sparklies". I have a small green blob that seems to be always on, but at different levels, according to picture content. If I look very closely at it (with a magnifying glass at the screen), I can see that it's irregularly shaped, much like I would expect a dust particle to be. Because it appeared after I ran the projector for ten hours or so, I'm guessing it's a dust particle. I had another spot appear last night which is a dark area about 1 by 3 pixels. It looks like it could be a little piece of thread. I'm definitely going to have these things taken care of once things have settled down. The green spot is much too noticeable.

Chuck Davis

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
YES! They are irregular-blob shape and of different sizes. Why would dust make the pixel stay on as opposed to block the light (perhaps it's reflective)? No, I never noticed them in the past so they could have settled in (or I just never noticed because its the 1st time I've run white balance). How could they be removed short of tearing open the system?

·
Registered
332 Posts
My guess is that, because the LCOS is reflective, that when the panels are off (non-reflective) the dust particle still reflects some light. I'm no expert, so correct me if I'm wrong. And if I'm wrong, we've got stuck pixels. My other blob is obviously a piece of foreign material and it blocks light. I'm thinking that it is further down the optics. I've been talking to my dealer's tech support, and he says that, if I defocus just right, I should be able to see the dust particle distinctly while individual pixels will be blurred. I'm going to try that this evening.

If it is dust, you'll have to send it in for cleaning. I've seen procedures where you can open up your projector and shoot some canned air on the panels, but you have to be more gutsy than me to do that. If it's pixels, you'll have to check with your dealer about the possibility of an exchange.

·
Registered
502 Posts
@ toddalin

you should not use the program you mentioned; I think it will be dust, but in the way the engine of the SX5500 is still a closed unit.

Get in contact with the tech support of Hitachi, I think they will help you

hb

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.