AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alan's prices on the SX21 is certain to tip over some fence sitters. Very good offer so I was considering it, maybe they are dumping inventory for the next big thing or maybe they know CEDIA was a bust for the 5-10k group so they figure they can hook some of us with the price. Either way it works for me.

Questions:

I need the panamorph 'cause I really need all the light from the panel, but can I tell the internal scaler to generate an image that will look 4:3 through the panamorph for 4:3 material? Do I need to use my HTPC to do this? I know I will lose some of the light, but I would rather have the light for the HD and DVD material. I don't want an external scaler other than the HTPC, and I would rather not have that if I didn't need it. Does it have DCDi de-interlacing?

I guess with the resolution the converse would be to go without the lens, have 4:3 be brightest for daytime viewing and use letterbox at night with less lumens for HD and movie viewing. It would be to use all of that panel though for 1080i HD.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
get the projector first. If you sit so close that you think the panamorph can benefit the image then buy it. These projectors usually throw a very good image which 99.9 percent of the population think is unreal.

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
I agree with Tryg. Get it first and see how it looks. At least to me, although the lens makes an improvement, it is not day or not and even without the lens, you are still getting alot of resolution

On the issue of dumping, that is not the case, We run powerbuys on many items throughout the year and for many reasons.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I agree with Tryg and Daniel

I get my Sx21 tomorrow and would recommend you buy the PJ and then decide if you need / want the lens.

I will be collecting an ISCO II from another AVS ember this week.

I've never seen a DILA projected anamorphically - the image without the lens looked great :)

Good luck

Rob

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
the lens does make a difference to me, when playing back DVDs on the DVI port. Using the SX-21 scaler to go 16:9 makes the pic less detailed than when I use the PSO lens to take the full 4:3 squished image to 16:9. The PSO lens picture quality is better notwithstanding ghosting caused by some defect in the lens. So I expect even better when I get the new replacement lens.

Finally, when I watch 16:9 1080i HD material, the picture looks perfect w or w/o the lens.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry Daniel,

"dumping" was a bad choice in words. I didn't mean any negative connotation.

Robert,

Are getting a greyhawk?

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If light output is an issue for me during the day, can I simply zoom the projector to a smaller screen w/blackouts for daytime viewing?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by occammd
Sorry Daniel,

"dumping" was a bad choice in words. I didn't mean any negative connotation.

Robert,

Are getting a greyhawk?
I have a 100" 16x9 Stewart Studiotek 130 from my CRT days.

Alison (my wife) is open to the idea of a bigger screen

I'll then look at Greyhawks and Firehawks and Da Lite's.

Rob

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am anxious to here your review robert. I may have some WAF to overcome, but it sounds pretty good. I am still concerned about daytime viewing. I don't need a great picture in the daytime, but would like to see it well.

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
I have a G11 with a greyhawk. If I had to do it all over again, I would go with the Firehawk (didnt exist when I bought my greyhawk)

Occammnd

No offense taken:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.