Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I was one of the lucky guys to get an early unit of the SX21.

Today I have taken the projector to the friendly people of JVC Spain. It has developed the fault described by Jay (Thirdkind) in this thread .

It is basically some kind of banding/smearing. You can see it in this photo taken by Jay.

The people of JVC say that this **might** be normal with this projectors. Nevertheless they agreed to look on it, and improve it anyway they can.

I was wondering if this is also your experience with the projector. If possible I would appreciate I you guys could post your own photos and experiences!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Andy,

It does not matter the source, I have tried DVI and VGA on two different computers, with a Radeon 8500 and a 9800. I have also tried with my powerbook via DVI. Besides I don't see the artifacts on a monitor.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you look to the left of "address" in the window you can see to lines, almost like shadows on the blue desktop. This is horizontally. Same thing happens vertically if you follow the corner of the window over the desktop.

·
Registered
13,306 Posts
I can't tell from viewing the image but if what you are describing is a line or band that begins when a window border ends and extends to the end of the image I have seen this on a half dozen or so JVC G150s (all that I have viewed). I could even see it via the projector's own menu (window) against the default blue background when there wasn't any signal (a little harder to spot).

Based on your background (the lighter the worse) it will show up differently. You should be able to find the same result using several of AVIA's test patterns. For DVDs try the opening credits of Catch Me If You Can.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
I have seen this on a half dozen or so JVC G150s (all that I have viewed)
Charles,

Are you saying that this is a by-product of DILA technology, that it has always been there?

·
Registered
13,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jprada
Charles,

Are you saying that this is a by-product of DILA technology, that it has always been there?
I'm certainly not an expert but I think it comes with the projector. Also, I had a couple of the G150s looked at by JVC service and on each occasion they were pronounced normal or within specs.

For me a worse banding issue can often be seen when you invert the G150 as it will show several vertical bands on the left side of the image. If you flip the image around the bands will almost totally disappear. You can best see these using AVIA's Backlight Levels test pattern.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry to hear about the banding issue on the 150!

BTW I too have seen the efect on the opening titles of Catch me.

Thank you for your insight Charles.

I now wonder what does the Qualia do.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it Joaquin. I saw this issue on both SX21 projectors I had in my possession. One was an early release unit and one was from a later production run.

I think you should follow Ohlson's advice from my original thread. I hardly ever noticed this issue during normal viewing. Ignore what you see on the desktop and enjoy your movies. In this hobby it's really easy to get obsessed with small issues that are only detectable on perfect sources like test patterns and PC desktops, and it makes us forget how good our equipment really is when compared to the vast majority of consumer junk.

Maybe there are some service menu tweaks that will minimize this issue for you, but I suggest you just put it out of your mind if possible. Good luck though.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for your support Jay.

I guess we all get carried away every once in a while!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.