AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Sony 50A2000 SXRD (Rear Projection) has decent black levels and so far have had few problems with it, but may want to upgrade soon.

Are there any affordable (under 3G) LCD TV's that have equal to or better blacks available yet?

The XBR8 looks promising, but the price tag...

Black levels are VERY important to me. Black should be black.

Of course detail, depth, contrast, color, ect are important too.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What about plasma then? Pioneer Elite???

Any LCD's as black as the SXRD?

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
I remember seeing the 50A3000 being rated at 0.0140 fL, & the Samsung 6-8 series LCDs are rated at 0.0090 fL, so you would probably would see a slight upgrade in black levels. But if you want a huge difference, than the Pioneer Kuros or LCD LED are your only choice.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
In my experience with the SXRD I owned briefly actually is far more than Black Levels to it's magic - it's ability to deliver SHADOW DETAILS from it's IRIS are it's difference maker and I've never seen a KURO or an LCD match those shadow details - it's far more than the depth of black it's the steps of gray and on/off white to black that an SXRD shines in it's sweet spot IMO.

Deep inky blacks are a great destination a Kuro may reach but it's what it brings out in the details that matter and I've never seen one deliver in that respect.

Admittedly I have not observed the new LED LCD by Samsung/Sony yet though but I've reviewed the Kuro numerous times for over a year and find it bland and drab/dull and no WOW factor to my eyes with SHADOW DETAILS - I can easily afford one and if it delivered in that respect I'd own it. Deep blacks are great but Shadow Details create a 3D experience that illicits WoW's that a panel with BLACK and inferior detail panel can't.

Example was the Panasonic Plasma I owned after the SXRD - absolutely ZERO WoW factor viewing the same HD material I viewed on the SXRD where it was throughout the Movie experience. I found the Plasma simply Boring no matter how deep the blacks are asserted to be and for half a dozen other reasons I won't vomit up I am firmly anti-plasma.

To test for yourself - take material to audition at a store that you feel delivers that WoW factor and shadow details/blacks you may see on your SXRD on an LCD or King Kuro and look for the WoW factor the SXRD may deliver to you and see if it replicates to your eyes.

Keep your eye on what CES 09 debuts in a week in Vegas.

·
Registered
16,166 Posts
Keep your SXRD (better blacks than LCDs) or switch to plasma. Not sure anything would be an upgrade to the SXRD (what makes you think it would be?).

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was hoping LCD technology had advanced enough to relieve my upgrade itch.

I'd like to take advantage of smoother 24Hz or 120HZ or what ever multiple as my TV is limited at 60Hz. Jerky panning is very noticeable to me.

westa6969 Why did you get rid of the SXRD?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.