AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this topic had been talked about alot lately, but I have not seen much info on SXRD and gaming.

I know nobody has tested the upcoming 50 and 60 inch models, but how about the Qualia 006. Does this set have video game lag? What is the response time on the Qualia 006.

I read a review once (cannot find it again) that said the Qualia had some motion blur and I have read posts about HD-ILA's motion blur problems. Can anyone comment on this form experience with the Qualia 006?

thanks

·
Registered
574 Posts
I'm a Qualia 006 owner and an avid XBox player. (I have a GameCube, too.)

"Game lag" is hard to measure and easy to perceive what you think you want to perceive, but I can tell you about video/sound lag.

If you use the DRC settings, I've found that the sound system needs to be adjusted for about a 30ms delay to sync up properly. If you use "Direct mode" (which, if enabled, grays out all the DRC settings), then the lip sync is fine with no sound system delay needed. So I use Direct mode on all inputs.

There is also a "Game mode" setting that seems to be grayed out unless the input is a progressive source. I don't know what that does.

I have never seen motion blur during any gaming. SXRD panels have 5ms response time, so I doubt you'd see the same kinds of artifacts that you'd see on Sony's LCD-based sets. The JVC sets have generally had poor scalers, so in that case I expect it's an electronics thing rather than a D-ILA panel thing--but I'm not speaking from experience here.

Hope that helps!

--Dwayne

·
Registered
688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zechman
SXRD panels have 5ms response time, so I doubt you'd see the same kinds of artifacts that you'd see on Sony's LCD-based sets.
Sony is noting Response Time: 2.5 Milliseconds on the new SXRD sets.

http://news.sel.sony.com/pressrelease/6049

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Quote:
I'm a Qualia 006 owner and an avid XBox player. (I have a GameCube, too.)

There is also a "Game mode" setting that seems to be grayed out unless the input is a progressive source. I don't know what that does.

--Dwayne
Do you use the HD adaptor for the Xbox with the set?

Have you hooked a PC up, any comments?

·
Registered
574 Posts
RE SXRD panels: The SXRD panels on the Qualia are 5ms. I wasn't aware when I posted that the newer panels in the KDS-RnnXBR1 sets had a faster response, so that's why I hadn't qualified my statement accordingly. Dunno if you're trying to correct me, or just add information to the discussion; but either way, we're both correct. :cool:

I do use the HD adapter, including feeding TOSlink to my sound system. Of course, most XBox games are 480p, and the only 720p game I have is X-Men Legends. I've also borrowed MX Unleashed (1080i). So I honestly don't have a lot to compare against. Definitely no motion blur that I've ever seen, but in all fairness Legends isn't really a torture test, either.

Haven't hooked up a PC yet. Plan to. Just haven't done it yet.

--Dwayne

·
Registered
68 Posts
how does upscaled 720P-material look on the qualia's 1080P-screen? does it look worse than for example on a native 720P-screen (like some of the DLP-RPTVs)? i know this is a hard question 'cause most of us never had the chance to compare but if anyone can answer this i would be very thanksful.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarzenegger
how does upscaled 720P-material look on the qualia's 1080P-screen? does it look worse than for example on a native 720P-screen (like some of the DLP-RPTVs)? i know this is a hard question 'cause most of us never had the chance to compare but if anyone can answer this i would be very thanksful.
Since most of the HD that I watch is 1080i and I only have one 720p game, I can't answer from much practical experience except that American Idol was easily one of the best looking (regardless of what you think of the content) HD shows I've ever seen on my TV. It's 720p. It's also one of Fox's highest-rated shows, so I'm sure they use the best recording equipment available--and I suspect that that has more to do with it than any 720p vs. 1080i/p debate.

But think of it this way: How do DVD's look on a 720p screen? As long as you are up-scaling to a higher resolution (and not doing any bob-to-540 chicanery) you should never lose detail. And if the scaler is applying some anti-aliasing to the picture, the extra pixels can be used to make it look even smoother.

Another analogy: How does a computer LCD screen look when you use a resolution that is smaller than its native resolution? My laptop has a 1600x1200 screen, but when I play games on it at 1280x1024 or 1024x768, it still looks very good. (Of course, 800x600 is perfect, but it's also a special case . . . .)

I have a hard time imagining any situation where 1080p is worse than 720p--including when it's used as a computer display (which I admittedly have not done yet).

--Dwayne

·
Registered
464 Posts
If you check the manuals available on the Sony website for the Q006 and the new 50"/60" SXRDs, you'll see that they do have a "Game Mode" setting described as "Select to optimize the lipsync when playing games". Zechman, are you sure this is only available for a progressive input? Seems like the most important use for it would be to minimize the delay associated with de-interlacing a 480i signal...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Quote:
Since most of the HD that I watch is 1080i and I only have one 720p game, I can't answer from much practical experience except that American Idol was easily one of the best looking (regardless of what you think of the content) HD shows I've ever seen on my TV. It's 720p. It's also one of Fox's highest-rated shows, so I'm sure they use the best recording equipment available--and I suspect that that has more to do with it than any 720p vs. 1080i/p debate.

But think of it this way: How do DVD's look on a 720p screen? As long as you are up-scaling to a higher resolution (and not doing any bob-to-540 chicanery) you should never lose detail. And if the scaler is applying some anti-aliasing to the picture, the extra pixels can be used to make it look even smoother.

Another analogy: How does a computer LCD screen look when you use a resolution that is smaller than its native resolution? My laptop has a 1600x1200 screen, but when I play games on it at 1280x1024 or 1024x768, it still looks very good. (Of course, 800x600 is perfect, but it's also a special case . . . .)

I have a hard time imagining any situation where 1080p is worse than 720p--including when it's used as a computer display (which I admittedly have not done yet).

--Dwayne
thanks very much for the information!

i hope the upcoming 1080p-SXRDs will have good scalers built in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.