AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Looking for some advice... My Sony SXRD 60" optical box is screwed up. Under my extended warranty, Future Shop wants to replace the TV instead of repairing it. I have a few choices and I am not sure what to do... any comments are welcome. I never buy extended warranty, but glad I did on this TV in 2006 which I spent close to $7000 with tax and warranty....

1) Replace with KDL60EX500 plus $600 for 4 year extended warranty

2) Replace with Panasonic 65" Viera for additional $600 plus $800 4 year warranty

3) Panasonic 65" Viera for $600 no extended warranty

4) Keep the SXRD 60" and get the optical block replaced by Sony for free (Sony replacing part and service for optical block until June 2010)

5) Wait for the 2010 models coming out in 1 - 2 months

6) Any suggestions on other TVs

I loved my Sony SXRD, and I do not want to get something that has a worse picture, but don't want to spend alot of money either....

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
#4, in my opinion. That's what a warranty's for.

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
#4. That way you are not out any money. The other options with the additional cash outlay just don't make much sense.

Regards,

RTROSE

·
Registered
6,325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trivial75 /forum/post/18306833

5) Wait for the 2010 models coming out in 1 - 2 months

This is my vote. I still have the 60XBR1 and have had a Panasonic 58PX600U, Pioneer Kuro G1 & G2 displays, and currently a Samsung 55B750 LCD and I like every one of the displays better than the SXRD. The current LCD looks great but not so much in a darkened room (as the same goes for the SXRD). This years Panasonics should be better or even the LED LCDs. If I were in your shoes and you can wait I would certainly do so.

I'm not sure that I would get the SXRD fixed. The OBs are just like a time bomb waiting to go off. I got my SXRD OB replaced and with a new bulb about 6 months ago and the black levels are starting to look blueish again like they were before. If your SXRD dies and it's out of warranty a broken SXRD won't be worth a dime.

The Pioneer plasmas beat the SXRD in every category and honestly the SXRD looked very dated next to it. A good current plasma will be an upgrade as well. And IMO so would a good LCD. My 55B650 looks MUCH better than the SXRD as well. A lot of the negative issues with LCD is also true with the SXRDs (off axis viewing, motion blur, etc).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found out Sony is now doing replacement TVs instead of repairing... So, #4 is out of the question now.

I found the EX700 from Sony, new LED for only $200 more then what is being offered to me (I could probably swing a deal with the store just to give me that one... hopefully).

Anyone have an opinion or own a KDL60EX703 or a KDL60EX500. Is the Bravia Engine 3 much better then 2?

Thank you all for your feedback, it is much appreciated.

·
Registered
6,325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trivial75 /forum/post/18309090

I found out Sony is now doing replacement TVs instead of repairing... So, #4 is out of the question now.

I found the EX700 from Sony, new LED for only $200 more then what is being offered to me (I could probably swing a deal with the store just to give me that one... hopefully).

Anyone have an opinion or own a KDL60EX703 or a KDL60EX500. Is the Bravia Engine 3 much better then 2?

Thank you all for your feedback, it is much appreciated.

You should post this question in the LCD forums and I'm sure you'll get more responses. I don't know much about the Sony LEDs or I'd comment. I believe though that this model is an edge lit LCD rather than the local dimming LED sets which have black levels more on par with plasma.

Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts