AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use my 360 as a media center and I use it to watch Standard and HD DVD's.

I'm currently looking to upgrade from the stock component cables...

I have a friend who wants to sell me his Monster Component cables with the Fiber Optic adapter for next to nothing. I would normally jump on this deal, but I'm not sure whether to stick with component or make the jump to VGA...

Now other then upconverting DVDs, does either connection have any advantages over the other? How about specifically with my set?

I own a 55" A2000 so 1080P isn't an option with out the Elite.

I know monster is overpriced in gerneral but at this price its worth the upgrade. I did tests on the previous XBOX and there was a significant improvement in PQ. Also, I direct connect my ethernet and my optical cable always comes loose from me being back there. I never had troubles like that with monsters mini adapter.

·
Registered
251 Posts
It is not worth using VGA on SXRDs...the resolution is limited (by Sony). You are better off using component and the stock cables are excellent. If you want the Monster set, that is your money. I guess an extra set never hurt anyone. I wouldn't mind a travel set of cables personally.

·
Banned
2,801 Posts
Dunno if it was fixed in the spring update but I heard VGA tends to wash out the colors. Personally I'd grab the Monster cables if you can get em for cheap. Also I dunno what you meant by "other than upconverting DVDs" but neither of those cables can upconvert, that's only possible with HDMI.

·
Registered
43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkchurch /forum/post/0

Dunno if it was fixed in the spring update but I heard VGA tends to wash out the colors. Personally I'd grab the Monster cables if you can get em for cheap. Also I dunno what you meant by "other than upconverting DVDs" but neither of those cables can upconvert, that's only possible with HDMI.

yeah, before teh spring update my picture was somewhat washed out while using VGA. now its perfect

also, VGA does upconvert standard dvds.

·
Registered
698 Posts
WTF sony limits the res on the TV over VGA what purpose could this serve?

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftkidney /forum/post/0

WTF sony limits the res on the TV over VGA what purpose could this serve?

I haven't tried it... I assume he means no 1080P, but maybe other resolutions as well?

Can anyone chime in with a little more info on this?

·
Banned
1,839 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishmosh /forum/post/0

VGA on SXRDs max out at 1366x768. Many have speculated that this is so X360 will never be able to output 1080p on an SXRD set. Of course, the Elite took care of that...

Ya a conspiracy from Sony, hardly. These sets had crappy VGA inputs, because it was looking like technology was quickly moving away from VGA and to DVI and HDMI. The 360 is actually a bit of an anomaly in that it can output in high resolutions but doesnt come standard with the newest outputs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.