AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at buying an either the Sony KDS-55A2000 or the JVC HD-56FH97. What is the difference between these two sets? Is one superior to the other? I would like help, this is my first big screen tv so I am not very experienced at this.

·
Registered
Sony A90J panel; Marantz SR7015 AVR; Paradigm Signature speakers; Oppo 203 and Panasonic 820 UHD BR.
4,318 Posts
Shootout of six 1080p units, all about 60". The JVC Dila beat Sony. I looked at the JVC critically, right next to a Sony SXRD (2000) and the JVC was very similar EXCEPT a deal-breaking persistence of SSE (silk screen) The JVC was really much worse with bright scenes where the SSE just came out baaaaad. I was surprised. Otherwise, I really liked the looks of the JVC, but with the SSE, I could not buy it over the Sony (and the Sony was NOT even an XBR.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I looked at both TVs you mentioned for ~ 1/2hr before buying the JVC. In my opinion, the JVC has a certain sharpness about it the Sony lacked. I couldn't justify the difference in price (~$500 at that time w/ the JVC on sale). I figured for that amount of money, I could buy an upconverting DVD player, etc.

I think it's a personal preference, myself. I would suggest downloading both user manuals from their respective sites. Review how they work, what features are important to you, etc. Then go look at each of them and decide.

I can say that after having the JVC for a few months, I am disappointed with their user interface. From what I've seen from a friend's Sony LCD, Sony appears to have a little better handle on that end.

Whichever you purchase, I recommend buying an uninterruptable power supply (UPS) *right away*. This will allow the fan to continue to run to cool the bulb if the power goes out (if you turn off the TV, that is). You may think, "But how often does the power go out?" About 1 month after I purchased mine, we had two outages in three days due to weather. Bulb life was probably shortened due to insufficient cooling.

Power draw for the JVC 56" is ~215W per the manual. So use that to determine UPS run time you want vs. price. (Fan runs 1-2 min after power-down.)

·
Registered
16,824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwood /forum/post/0

So does that mean that Home Theater magazine is retarded?

No, just means Phoney isn't the "one and only".

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Short answer (and you'll see this three or four times a day under the "what tv should I buy" threads) is to buy whichever one looks best to you and has the features you "need".

They are both excellent sets, considered to be (almost) inarguably 2 of the best 4 out there so you really can't go wrong.

Not to be rude, but if you care which one looks the best you'll need to spend some time with them in the store and play with the settings the try and dial them in. If you care what your friends think, then just buy the Sony.

(BTW, I bought the Sony because after doing my adjustments I found it had a more natural look to it and was a tad brighter-and no, my friends don't even know I have it

Bottom line here - there's no wrong answer with those choices. Just make sure you have enough of the proper inputs to connect your present and future gear...

·
Registered
34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockytt /forum/post/0

Short answer (and you'll see this three or four times a day under the "what tv should I buy" threads) is to buy whichever one looks best to you and has the features you "need".

They are both excellent sets, considered to be (almost) inarguably 2 of the best 4 out there so you really can't go wrong.

Not to be rude, but if you care which one looks the best you'll need to spend some time with them in the store and play with the settings the try and dial them in. If you care what your friends think, then just buy the Sony.

(BTW, I bought the Sony because after doing my adjustments I found it had a more natural look to it and was a tad brighter-and no, my friends don't even know I have it

Bottom line here - there's no wrong answer with those choices. Just make sure you have enough of the proper inputs to connect your present and future gear...

+1. I looked at those exact sets, side by side in a shop that took the time to set them up better than just putting them on "vivid". To me, the Sony had a more "real" picture (IMO)...it just had a tad more clarity.

To be honest, I wouldn't be unhappy with either set.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I've actually had both sets in my house and both my wife and I felt that hands-down the JVC was better- sharper HD and it did a noticeably better job on SD material. My wife had me take the Sony out of the house within a week, while we kept our original JVC for 3 weeks before I got the bug and had to have the Sony.

Just as an aside...the Sony reviewed in the Home Theather RPTV shootout was the XBR2, not the A2000. So, in essence, the JVC beat Sony's best RPTV. The A2000 is a step below the XBR2.

Having said all of that....you may prefer the Sony. You can't really go wrong with either set. I will say though that the JVC handled SD much better than the Sony.

·
Registered
424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoetz97 /forum/post/0

I've actually had both sets in my house and both my wife and I felt that hands-down the JVC was better- sharper HD and it did a noticeably better job on SD material. My wife had me take the Sony out of the house within a week, while we kept our original JVC for 3 weeks before I got the bug and had to have the Sony.

Just as an aside...the Sony reviewed in the Home Theather RPTV shootout was the XBR2, not the A2000. So, in essence, the JVC beat Sony's best RPTV. The A2000 is a step below the XBR2.

Having said all of that....you may prefer the Sony. You can't really go wrong with either set. I will say though that the JVC handled SD much better than the Sony.

Are your sure it was the XBR2 in the shootout?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Can someone tell me what the top RPTVs were. I've been looking for the Feb issue and both Barnes and Nobles by my house were sold out. I'm looking for a new rptv and this info would really help out. I hope I can pick this mag up so I can read the details.

Thanks,

·
Registered
250 Posts
I looked at them side by side at BB. To me the JVC was sharper with a more crisp picture. The Sony looked soft almost out of focus, could have been the adjustments. My eyes said JVC and I have been pleased ever since with my 61FN97. No problems so far. Colors,detail are unreal with HD signal. Picture still makes me wow everytime I turn it on.

·
Registered
424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman /forum/post/0

^^^ I got the magazine the other day and it was the XBR2.

Jim

I don't get the magazine is there a link to the read. I read another shootout sometime back and it was not the XBR2 so this must be new, and the first I heard of.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The JVC has slightly more detail than the Sony A2000. However, the XBR2 is not only more detailed, but has better black levels. Of course, the XBR2 is more expensive. I've seen these sets for months side to side before picking the Sony XBR2. I also thought that with the multitude of user menu adjustments in the Sony, you could customize the picture exactly to your liking. No other TV has that many user accessible adjustments.

The Home Theater review favored Color Accuracy over Black Levels and Contrast. Their call. Although I think with the Sony's user menu White Balance adjustments, you could dial in whatever color looks most accurate to you. BTW, the Sony tested was the XBR2.

PS - Like everyone else has said... Best advice is to go take a look at these sets for a long time with different program material ("bright" movies, "dark" movies, sports, etc.) Customize the settings to your preference if possible.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I have the original JVC 52" Dila and was thinking about upgrading considering the sets you mentionned but I am waiting for later this year when the HDMI 1.3 sets come out. Sony made some announcements about their sets and there will be some nice improvements in picture quality. Hopefully JVC will also come out with their new line of HDMI 1.3 sets this year too.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
I hate to bring this up, but comparing displays inside a B&M is a terrible but most likely necessary way for most of us. You're looking at spending over $2k on a display that is removed from the box and stuck on a shelve and left at factory settings. Three things that I took from the Home Theater Magazine article. The number one ranked Samsung was noted as a clear winner, not just the winner. They also noted that the Samsung suffered from unadjustable blinding light that caused headaches in some. The Sony XBR2 was not rated third, right behind the JVC, but fourth, behind the Toshiba. They also mentioned that even though the Samsung was the winner, after reading their Samsung review potential buyers may want to revisit the JVC review.

·
Registered
34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan /forum/post/0

I hate to bring this up, but comparing displays inside a B&M is a terrible but most likely necessary way for most of us. You're looking at spending over $2k on a display that is removed from the box and stuck on a shelve and left at factory settings...

Agreed. When I saw the two sets side by side in a large, big box store...the results were different from when I saw them in a specialty store. In the smaller shop, somebody actually took the time to set them up...different results entirely.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.