AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm new to the AVS forum, this is my first post.

I hope this is the right place for this question and I also hope there's

someone here that can help me with a problem that having a serious

affect on my home life.

We have a Sylvania HDRV200F VCR/CD/DVR combo unit that has worked very well since

I bought it in 2006. With the exception of the DVD/CD player recorder that I just replaced

with a separate unit.

Really the only part of it we use and we've been using it every day is the DVR.

My wife's work schedule causes her to get home late usually getting home at 8:30

or 9pm. I program the DVR to record the evenings TV watching.

A couple weeks ago the remote got to where it would not access the Timer Programing

function nor the "Top Menu". This will not allow me to program anything or play anything

that's already programed.

I figured it was in the remote control since the unit is sitting right where it's been sitting

since I brought it home in 2006, and the remote control regularly hits the hard wood floor

when it gets knocked off my end table.

So I bought a replacement remote, it does, or doesn't do the same things. I talked to the

people at the replacement remote place and they sent instructions on how to test it using

a digital camera. The remote passes their tests so they say the problem must be with

the unit. Being hard headed I wasn't going to believe it, so I found another replacement

remote on Amazon and bought it, yes it also doesn't do the same thing so I guess there

must be something wrong with the main unit.

I've tried everything in setup that I can find, I can't see anything that's wrong, it just won't

let me access the Timer Program, the button does nothing, nor the Top Menu, it's button

does nothing too.

Does anyone have any idea what might be the problem, I'm about to pull what left of

my hair out.

Thanks a bunch,

Ron W4RON
http://radioheaven.homestead.com/

·
Registered
15,085 Posts
Have you tried powering off the unit for a while?

You need to unplug it from the wall, not use its builtin power control -- that just puts it in standby with many circuits still powered on. Sometimes powering devices off completely for several minutes will cause them to recover.

If that doesn't help, you'll probably have to get it repaired or replaced.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball  /t/1470470/sylvania-dvr-remote-control#post_23258477

Have you tried powering off the unit for a while?

You need to unplug it from the wall, not use its builtin power control -- .

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, if you were here I'd kiss you, od at least shake you hand warm and vigorously.

This has been and unbleaviable headache for nearly a month now.

And after taking your suggestion and unplugging the unit last night and leaving it unplugged until I got up a few minutes

ago,

Now thanks to you the problem is GONE, the unit works just like it's supposed to.

I wish I could find another of these still in the box, I'd sure buy it for back up, because this has worked great except for this

little burp since 2006.

Thanks to the forum and al it's members.

If anyone here is interested I'd like to invite you to visit my antique radio collection on-line museum at;
http://radioheaven.homestead.com/

73, Ron W$RON

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're very welcome, of course!
Hello Shelden, you helped me a few years ago with a problem with my Sylvania HDRV200F DVR,
I wonder if you can help me with another problem, it's worked great since then until yesterday, when
the clock suddenly stopped working at all. Everything else works just fine, just the clock does not run.
I can set the time and it just sits there.
I've tried the first fix you told me about, taking the power off the machine over night, no help.
Is this problem with the clock something that can be fixed, or is it a lost cause?

Thanks again for your help before.

73, Ron W4RON

·
Registered
15,085 Posts
Hello Shelden, you helped me a few years ago with a problem with my Sylvania HDRV200F DVR,
I wonder if you can help me with another problem, it's worked great since then until yesterday, when
the clock suddenly stopped working at all. Everything else works just fine, just the clock does not run.
I can set the time and it just sits there.
I've tried the first fix you told me about, taking the power off the machine over night, no help.
Is this problem with the clock something that can be fixed, or is it a lost cause?

Thanks again for your help before.

73, Ron W4RON
Ron,

The DVR has a "reset to factory settings". You might give that a try. See page 120 of the owner's manual, which I've attached below. If that doesn't work, then I'm afraid it's time to think about spending money to get it repaired or replaced.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.