AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have a Samsung "tube" and a JBL scs500.5 system center speaker atop it. My question is, what are some of the common symptoms of magnetic interference on such a tv? I've noticed a flickering on some tv stations but thats about it. the manual for the jbl's says they are video-shielded. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
You'll see the picture get very distorted, particularly the area of the screen that is closest to the offending speaker. It's definitely noticable, and not channel dependent. The flickering on some stations you see is probably not due to a speaker shielding issue.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
If you don't have a cathod ray tube TV it is not magnetic distortion. Plasma and LCD displays are not distorted by nearby magnetic fields.

The easy way to confirm magnetic distortion from a speaker is to move the speaker; closer increases distortion and farther away decreases it.

To see what magnetic distortion looks like place a magnet against the front of the display, lines on the screen will bend and colors will change. The effect is not permanant. All CRT TVs of the past several years have a degausing feature.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Many manufacturers may stated video shielded but the shielding may be inadequate, so don't go strictly by the fact it is advertised as so.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by black7lotus /forum/post/12986052

ahh...but i do have a crt

Sorry I missed "tube".

But tell us, is it magnetic distortion? What happened when you moved the speaker or tried to duplicate the problem by bringing a magnet close to the display?

Moving an offending speaker even a short distance farther away may eliminate any problem.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thank you! This is a great forum. It not only has very knowledgeable members but also thoughtfully designed.

I am aware of magnetic interference issue with CRT but not sure about the effect of it on LCD. My pair of good old Definitive Technology BP20 speakers have been randomly placed in the master bedroom for the last 12 years. The living is too small and acoustically not optimal in any conventional direction to set up these speakers. It wasn't until the 46A750 set up diagonally in front of the fire place. It resulted better sounding from those low-end Yamaha surround speakers. It then dawned on me that I can bring those BP20 down to the living room. The current placement a bit too far, 21" away from the edge of the TV. I want to bring its closer, about 12" away from the TV but the issue of magnetic interference pop up in my mind. When I attempted to post a new thread to ask, the forum automatically displayed related threads. Wow, I have not see that in any other forums.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts