AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been struggling with this problem for a couple of weeks now. I am trying to get the Malata DVD player to sync up to the 425z via a component-VGA breakout cable. I have tried all the different settings on the Malata for component output. About the only thing I am able to get via the VGA is a vertically split double image that is garbled and in B&W (I can't remember right now what setting I had it on).

I was told that I may have to buy a transcoder in order to get the signal into the projector. I am very hesitant to buy another piece of equipment until I am absolutely sure that this will solve my problems. Could it be possible that the 425z has a similar problem to the LT150 in that the #13 and #14 pins must be removed or disabled first? I haven't tried this yet, but may do so this evening.

Can someone please help me figure out what I need to do in order to be able to watch movies without having to use the S-Video connection?!

p.s. Yeah, this is my 100th post!

------------------

"Can I refill your eggnog, Eddie? Take you out in the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?"

Greg Jones
The Cellar

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
How do you like the color, brightness, rainbows, noise, and DVD imaging of your LP425z? This very affordable for a lot of people (around $1500 right?). Where can I buy the Malata DVD player? Have you tried HTPC? I'm not sure how to fix your problem but HTPC should work great with all digital projectors. Have you tried to call Infocus tech support? I hear they're pretty good. Sorry to hear about your trouble.

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the internal scaler of decent quality in the 425z? Is the image that I have basically the best I'm going to get?

Dizzman, am I to assume from your post that a transcoder will do no good? I was in the understanding that all digital projectors are able to receive a progressive signal. Is it more that the projector's scaler is unable to scale up the 480p image to it's 800x600 native resolution? I don't think that purchasing an external scaler is much of an option. I would much prefer to sell the projector and try and get a used LT-150 or something similar that is capable of receiving a component signal via VGA.

If this will help to shed some light on my situation, here is what the Malata is capable of sending out via the component connections:

NONE Y Pb Pr

Y G B R

Y Y Pb Pr

SYNC G B R

Y G+SYNC B R

SYNC G+SYNC B R

A tech from avdeals said that a transcoder should do the trick, but couldn't be absolute in his recommendation.

------------------

"Can I refill your eggnog, Eddie? Take you out in the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?"

Greg Jones
The Cellar

[This message has been edited by bugman72 (edited 08-28-2001).]

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After doing some more searching around, I have come up with the following spec chart for my projector from Infocus Tech Support. Unless I am reading this wrong, the projector should be able to see a progressive signal via the VGA.

Here's the chart.

InFocus LP-425z Spec Chart

Can someone with more sense please decipher this for me and tell me once and for all if I can use the component-VGA breakout cable and get it to sync up or if I need a transcoder, or if nothing will work other than using S-Video and grinning and bearing it.

------------------

Greg Jones
The Cellar

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Realize that all digital projectors are not multi-sync devices. They are programmed so that if you see X do Y...

It is somewhat common for a device to recognize a signal on one input in one format (NTSC Composite or S on the appropriate inputs) but not as another format on another connector (NTSC RGBHV on the VGA connector)

According to the person i spoke to at Infocus on their tech support line, a transcoder will not do the job.

Almost all digital projectors are able to recieve VGA... however a progressive DVD puts out a signal that is similar but not the same as this. THis is the same reason why a few years ago, everybody started buying scalers instead of line doublers. The scaler would match the signal to VGA, and it would be displayed. A doubler would output something a little different and there was no image.

As far as the formats you have listed;

NONE Y Pb Pr

Y G B R

Y Y Pb Pr

SYNC G B R

Y G+SYNC B R

SYNC G+SYNC B R

I recognize none of these (as written) the video food chain is (generally written) as such

RGBHV

RGBS

RGsB

RsGsBs

R-Y, B-Y, Y (or about a thousand other versions it seems)

Y, C

C

RF

It seems from what i find on the web that your DVD player outputs a version (or two) of RGB. I would try that.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
I think you will find that the Infocus LP 425 does not accept component. i checked on their website and there was no mention of component compatibility. I also spoke to somebody at their tech support line and they were pretty sure that there was no component support. as well, they were not sure (they were reasonably sure it did not work) if you could transcode the component ai would say your best bet is either a scaler, or S.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The colors seem to be pretty good so far. Black levels could be better. That may improve with the better connection. It's really hard for me to pass an objective opinion as of right now, knowing that it can look a lot better than it does. But, for S-Video, it's much better than I expected.

I haven't tried an HTPC. I thought about it, but it's going to be too costly (my current home computer is a 266MHz P.O.S. that would not support a DVD player. My office just happens to have a couple extra ATI Radeon 64MB DDR video cards that I'm trying to talk them out of. That would be an excellent start. If I thought I could piece together an HTPC for $200 (buy a used one locally or something like that), I would probably do it. I'm a Network Administrator by trade, so getting a bum computer isn't much of a concern for me.

I tried calling tech support initially, but didn't seem to get anywhere with them. I don't know if I wasn't explaining myself well enough, but the guy I talked to seemed completely clueless.

As for the Malata, go to www.avdeals.com. That's where everyone is going. Be prepared to wait a while before receiving one, as they are swamped with orders.

------------------

Greg Jones
The Cellar

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.