AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I listen to Redskins football games on the radio while watching them in HD. The problem is the delay between the two. There is a device that allows you to synchronize digital TV and radio broadcasts of sporting events called, DelayPlayRadio. I’ve tried doing some research on this company and I don’t feel comfortable dealing with them for several reasons. Anyone find a way or device to sync digital broadcasts and the radio?

·
Registered
357 Posts
I do this all the time with MLB games when certain B-grade broadcast crews are on the TV side. I usually synchronize the 15 second delay on a pitch count and its all set from there. I've even synched it from the mlb.com broadcasts on occasion.

But...you need a PVR and XM (or in your case, Sirius), since both are delayed signals and it's just a matter of delaying the video to match the other. If you're listening to live radio you're in trouble as you're well aware with the delay in the HD broadcast, and while I suspect most HTPC setups could probably delay the radio broadcast with a little work it's probably going to cost you more to do it than its worth. Your best option would be to sign up for the NFL.com and use the audio stream from that - never tried it, but imagine it works roughly the same as the mlb ones, but then again, you'll need a HD PVR for delaying the video to it.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
14,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens
I listen to Redskins football games on the radio while watching them in HD. The problem is the delay between the two. There is a device that allows you to synchronize digital TV and radio broadcasts of sporting events called, DelayPlayRadio. I’ve tried doing some research on this company and I don’t feel comfortable dealing with them for several reasons. Anyone find a way or device to sync digital broadcasts and the radio?
I bought one from them and didn't have any problems. It came when they said it would and it cost what they said it would. YMMV.

·
Registered
10,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng
I bought one from them and didn't have any problems. It came when they said it would and it cost what they said it would. YMMV.
Well, that makes me feel a bit better. I couldn't find anything on them except their web page. The phone number isn't listed in the white pages for the town they are in and they only have a PO Box not an address. I never order anything without a physical address location, but maybe in this instance I will. I have to sync those two up.

I don't fully understand how I would hook it up to my receiver so it works through my HT system. It looks like I would use the headphone jack, but I'm not certain. Thanks for the positive feedback on them. Maybe someone else will weigh-in as well.

·
Registered
10,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
old64mb,

I do have the PVR-942, but no XM or Sirius. And it is a live (unfortunately AM) broadcast I listen to, so as you say, I have problems. It’s a month before the season starts, so I have time to work something out. Thanks for the suggestion.

EDIT: I listen to a specific broadcast (Sonny Jurgensen and Sam Huff), so I’m not interested in any other NFL broadcast team.

·
Registered
14,446 Posts
Quote:
I don't fully understand how I would hook it up to my receiver so it works through my HT system. It looks like I would use the headphone jack, but I'm not certain.
You will need a non intergrated receiver to use it with a HT. It has inputs/outputs for either RCA or stereo mini plugs. You just plug the correct cable into the inputs and outputs, adjust the sliding adjustment for time delay and you ready to go. Nothing to it. The audio quality is as good as what you put in to it.

As a matter of fact, when I was playing with it, I forgot I had the delay set for 16 seconds, changed the station on the receiver and was shocked with I didn't hear the station change until I realized I had to turn the unit off to change stations!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Quote:
old64mb,

I do have the PVR-942, but no XM or Sirius. And it is a live (unfortunately AM) broadcast I listen to, so as you say, I have problems. It’s a month before the season starts, so I have time to work something out. Thanks for the suggestion.

EDIT: I listen to a specific broadcast (Sonny Jurgensen and Sam Huff), so I’m not interested in any other NFL broadcast team.
Actually, in looking at the NFL Field Pass it does look like you can choose which local broadcast team you want, so that might be a reasonable option if you have a PC with audio jacks relatively close to your receiver (I have a 25' cable picked up from Radio Shack just for that sitting next to my MyFi). Won't be the highest quality as its streamed, but probably the easiest workaround and the cheapest for $29.95.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I bought the DelayPlayRadio and it works great. Another option that I looked into was the RadioShark from Compusa. It is much cheaper but requires you to hook it up to a computer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.