AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

First off let me start by saying I sure hope you all don't get tired of my questions/thoughts/ideas as I am just slowly getting back into Home Theater and speaker building.

During my research I have been introduced to the Synergy horn and have to say I am intrigued.

Now my question is as follows: How do you think a Synergy style horn made with a BMS 4593HE and 4 woofers would work for HT? (Overview)

My thought is with the BMS being a coaxial horn driver, if I use this, it will remove the need for the 4 midrange drivers.

This way each horn is made up of 5 (or 3 if I only use 2 woofers) drivers each instead of 9. (Or 7 if you only use 2 woofers)

I am just spit balling here and if this idea is horrible or way too difficult please feel free to show me the errors of my ways.

Thanks in advance.
Jason

·
Premium Member
5,083 Posts
iirc, a recently quiet AVS poster and seemingly ,currently, MIA, Michael Hurd did this quite a few years back . ., there may still be pics in

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Hey all,

First off let me start by saying I sure hope you all don't get tired of my questions/thoughts/ideas as I am just slowly getting back into Home Theater and speaker building.

During my research I have been introduced to the Synergy horn and have to say I am intrigued.

Now my question is as follows: How do you think a Synergy style horn made with a BMS 4593HE and 4 woofers would work for HT? (Overview)

My thought is with the BMS being a coaxial horn driver, if I use this, it will remove the need for the 4 midrange drivers.

This way each horn is made up of 5 (or 3 if I only use 2 woofers) drivers each instead of 9. (Or 7 if you only use 2 woofers)

I am just spit balling here and if this idea is horrible or way too difficult please feel free to show me the errors of my ways.

Thanks in advance.
Jason
I've already offered a demo of my system, in your "Sub Build..." thread. I guess I didn't mention I'm running Danleys as LCR. Offer still stands, as you should hear the real thing, at least to know what they're capable of. 😉

Joseph

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've already offered a demo of my system, in your "Sub Build..." thread. I guess I didn't mention I'm running Danleys as LCR. Offer still stands, as you should hear the real thing, at least to know what they're capable of. 😉

Joseph
Well damn. I've been so busy with my move stuff I completely forgot.

Now that you are sweeting the deal with having Synergy Horns in your set up, how the heck do I say no...

I'll PM....

Thanks
Jason

·
Registered
742 Posts
Hey all,

Thanks in advance.
Jason

What you are talking about sounds very similar to JTR theater speakers. They actually use a BMS compression coaxial and then use two woofers for bass in an MTM configuration. Those BMS drivers are nice in the right horn. You can cross over as low as 300hz. By all accounts, people love the JTR speakers, which are designed specifically for Home Theater. So I would say go for it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What you are talking about sounds very similar to JTR theater speakers. They actually use a BMS compression coaxial and then use two woofers for bass in an MTM configuration.
Yes, that is exactly where the idea started. I have interested by point source drivers ever since I got my Altec Lansing 617-8A's (Currently in use as my L/C/R)

But its time to do a serious upgrade.

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,822 Posts

It won't be a Synergy, simply a horn driven by a coaxial CD.
I've had and used BMS4590s since 2002 and Lambda Unitys (licenced Synergy precursors) since 08. Not the same thing.

Making a Noesis variant using the BMS, a suitable flare and a number of MB drivers is a feasible idea, but if building it WWHWW with larger drivers, roll off the outer two as up near the xover to the H section, the outer two may mess with the FR and polars.

Reactions: JayMan72

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
It won't be a Synergy, simply a horn driven by a coaxial CD.
Not sure if I made clear what I am trying to do so here is a little drawing.

As I said, this is just an idea and most likely wont happen (at least not on this go around) but I thought it was interesting.

But thanks for the reply. I appreciate any info.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I built the ones Chris A. designed in the Klipsch Forums. They are made from a K402 Horn, and use a pair of 15" woofers... a 2 way synergy horn. They sound great!

Reactions: JayMan72
1 - 11 of 11 Posts