AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody got the ds416play??

i want to buy one so i can manage and share my files in our home. like home theater, living room and bedroom.

any plex users? any feedback with this device?

is this future proof for 4k mkv movies with atmos and dts-x audio?

can anyone also recommend a good media player with 4k and atmos/dts-x capability?

thank you

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you're wanting 4k future-proofing definitely consider the 8-bay model instead. (DS1815+)

It's amazing how quickly storage fills when working with 1080p on up, you won't regret having the extra space available. I use mine for streaming throughout the house as well as remote access, all via plex.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
If you're wanting 4k future-proofing definitely consider the 8-bay model instead. (DS1815+)

It's amazing how quickly storage fills when working with 1080p on up, you won't regret having the extra space available. I use mine for streaming throughout the house as well as remote access, all via plex.
Don't get me wrong, my Synology is the heart of my entire network and I love it to the point of irrationality, but the fact that the OP mentioned Plex and 4K sets off warning bells in my mind. I am highly skeptical of the 1815's ability to handle 4K content should there be any transcoding involved whatsoever. This thing and it's poor little Atom processor wasn't designed with 4K in mind.

Reactions: jrcrunch

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
anybody got the ds416play??

i want to buy one so i can manage and share my files in our home. like home theater, living room and bedroom.

any plex users? any feedback with this device?

is this future proof for 4k mkv movies with atmos and dts-x audio?

can anyone also recommend a good media player with 4k and atmos/dts-x capability?

thank you
I am a huge fan of Synology NAS units, I have two at home, one at work and several at customer sites.

Anyway when you mention Plex are you talking about Running Plex on the unit itself or just using it as storage for Plex? Plex has two components a Server and a Player, you can run Plex Server on most Synology NAS units but keep in mind that almost all NAS Units are very low powered which means they are limited in duties other than serving up data which they do very well.

You should be able to run Plex Server on the NAS and get decent results PROVIDED all of your player devices will play all of your media via "Direct Play" this means that there isn't any kind of transcoding whatsoever. This unfortunately can not be predicted as easily as one might hope as something as simple as an audio track or even subtitles can for transcoding.

If you plan on using Plex External access then I would strongly suggest using a somewhat beefy system (I use a dedicated server) to do the heavy lifting and use the NAS for just storage and backups.

Plex itself Does support 4k (I don't have any 4k but it does support it) and it also supports ATMOS and DTS:X, those I can personally confirm as I have an at ATMOS / DTS:X Denon AVR and it works great using PHT (Plex Home Theater). This of course also depends on your players, I don't know of many players (Roku / Shield) that currently pass out HD Audio. I am using a dedicated HTPC for my Plex Client.

As others mentioned you might want to save up a little more money and get a bigger (more bays) Unit, I personally have a 12 Bay just about loaded with 6TB Drives. I am currently expanding my SHR2 from 32 to 38TB! It is addictive, trust me!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
appreciate the response

well this will be my setup

the synology ds416play will be placed in the bedroom of my brother where the modem and router will be placed (since it is the most central room of the house)

will store all my movies (backu mkvs and blu ray copies and 4k in the future)

the ds416play will act as our home's media server then it will connect via cat6 lan cables to my room, living room, home theater where each has its own media player like popcorn hour (planning to buy a 4k media player with dts-x/dolby atmos) what is a good brand? well im just hoping the ds416play is strong enough as well

there would be times maybe like my other siblings would want to play movies on their laptop over wifi with plex

thank you for the inputs

·
Registered
234 Posts
none. please give me an update when you get yours :)
I just ordered one as well and will be ordering four WD RED 8TB NAS Hard Drives to put in it. I have a kdlinks a300 and a nvidia shield to play from it. I have about 9TB of movies on external hard drives that I have to transfer from 5 hard drives. Another 3TB is partially filled. I am going to set the NAS to RAID 5 so in case one drive fails, I will be ok. I have been wanting to have one central storage for the movies so that I can organize them all in alphabetical order with cover art and descriptions and have one clear path to them. This seemed the way to go. I have been accumulating these from the time DVD's first came out and then started with the Blu-ray's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts