AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dedicated Mac Mini for my HTPC running iTunes to feed my ATV's. I am looking for a reliable external drive that has plenty of room to grow and reliable. Synology and Lacie come to mind but open to others. Is anybody running a similar set up care to share your external drive info?

Other Info

Looking for 10 to 20 TB of space

USB 3 or Thunderbolt connections

HTPC is on 24/7

·
Registered
858 Posts
There's no such thing as an iTunes server, only a Mac/PC running iTunes can act as a homesharing server.

The iTunes service you see advertised on NAS is the ancient firefly media server which ceased development several years ago and was designed for pre-homesharing iTunes. iTunes can still see those old servers but they are rubbish to put it mildly, oh and they do not work with iOS devices either.

You should probably look at getting a DAS (RAID storage via USB), perhaps a Drobo or one of those new Thunderbolt enclosures though really any bog standard USB 2/3 DAS would be fine.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's correct, not a server but iTunes Home Sharing to the local ATV's is what I am asking about.

I see those thunderbolt drives you mention, but is there any real advantage in paying for the thunderbolt drive if its strictly being used for home sharing?

I do not think I would come even close to USB 3 limits in streaming HD content to the ATV but even if I was streaming to multiple ATV's. Any words of wisdom if thunderbolt would have any improvement here?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.