AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I couldn't find an existing one, I think we need a thread for this TV. I'm looking for some info and some reviews, mostly is the HDMI inputs 1.3 or not. I couldn't find the manual.

·
Registered
62 Posts
FYI, It is probably a bit thicker than the norm for an LCD, but that 16" is inclusive of the stand... It list the 65" version as also being 16" and I have one. It is about 6.5" not including the stand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88al88 /forum/post/13013988

http://www.olevia.com/en-us/Products...HDLCDHDTV.aspx

according to the specs it's about 16 inches thick, thats a pretty thick LCD

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
okay thanks for that, do you happen to know what version the HDMI is on your 65 inch?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I found the manual which I cannot post until I post three times.

The 16" is indeed with the stand. Without it the TV is only 6.6" thick. I am also looking at this LCD as a bargain at Costco for only $2K for a 55". Not knowing too much about LCD's is the 10ms response enough to keep looking? Is this something that would affect normal TV watching or is this really a gaming issue?

Thanks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
So is Olevia a decent brand?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya I finally found the manual as well, still no mention of the HDMI version though. My 42" LCD TV is 8ms, and I haven't had any problems with it, but since this is a bigger screen with a slower response time, it makes me wonder. The surprising part is that 8ms was pretty good response time 2 years ago when I bought the 42" LCD, 2 years later though you rarely see 8ms, let alone a slower response time.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Did you check out the 52" Olevia on Woot? Woot says 6.5ms response time but I think it is 8ms: http://www.woot.com/

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ya, its a pretty good deal, but if I'm going to upgrade my 42" it has to be more than 10 inches.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've visited 2 Costco's, and other than on their website, these beasties don't seem to exist, has anyone seen one of these units?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just online--but the 10ms response time has bummed me out-well probabaly get the 52"--Tigerdirect has it bundled with a hd-dvd player for $1599.00

·
Registered
353 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88al88 /forum/post/13094196

Well the 10ms is bad but 180 pounds for LCD? thats ridiculous.

That's my problem as well, the weight. I was looking at the 47" that was on sale a while back at CC and it's about 130lbs with the stand. The 52" is like 155lbs, now this 55" is 180lbs. I'm not sure why their LCDs are so heavy. My 237v was a typical weight. I also don't think I could do 10ms with this size panel. Sounds like it could be a recipe for flicker to me. I decided to give the 52" Magnavox at the CC a chance, since I got an 8% off coupon to work on it. It's just under 90lbs for a 52" LCD with 6ms. I'm hoping it's not too much of a cutdown from what Philips uses in their main line. I've got my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Does anyone have this TV? Any reviews or thoughts? I am intrigued by the size/price, and I have no real qualms about the Olevia brand, but I am a little concerned about the weight and thickness of the unit.

Does this display support clear QAM? Based on Olevia's website, it seems like the answer is no, but Costco's description does say it has QAM, and other displays in Olevia's 2 Series appear to support QAM as well. Along the same lines, does anyone have any clear information about the various series of Olevia LCD televisions? It isn't really clear to me what the distinction among them is.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I believe all TV's with HD Tuners also have QAM, so even though Olevia doesn't list it on the site it's pretty much a safe bet to assume it does. The difference in the TV models seems to just be the video processor included, and the look of the TV.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts