AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to examine a collection of syslogs from as wide a range as possible. If people who have backup images on harddrives or are pulling their system drives for other reasons, could send me a copy of .../user/SysLog/Sys.Log, I'd really appreciate it. I'm most interested in 4000 series, but would also like others if available.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I can't believe I'm doing this, but...bump

Not a single person out there has a backup image they could pull a syslog or three off of?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Mikeyboy!

I have no strong preference -- here or email is fine.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KenL
Thanks Mikeyboy. But I don't know jtl... would you prefer we email those to you?

Might as well keep the logs somewhat private. ;)
This isn't my project. Participate as you see fit.

I do agree email is more appropriate than attaching the file. JTL does have his email address in his signature if anyone needs it.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mikeyboy
This isn't my project. Participate as you see fit.
Everyone able to -- do participate!!

(jtl is studying viewer p0rn usage patterns)

(just kidding... those aren't in the logs?) :D

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey, thanks for the bump -- I was meaning to bring this up again.

Thanks to the people who have sent some! I'm in pretty good shape -- there's just one case I'd still like to see, and it may not exist in this forum!

If there is anybody who has a completely-unhacked unit that does *not* have myreplaytv enabled, I'd love a day or two of its syslogs, sniffed off the wire on the nightly update. Anyone out there who could do that?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm pretty sure one of my 3000-series units doesn't have MyReplayTV enabled yet. My hacking has been limited to replacing the lineup and guide via the nightly update; I haven't done any hardware or registry hacking. Interested?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a backup image made from RTVPatch but the whole image is a single file. I will try using winimage to pull the syslog files out of the image, but do you know of any other way I can pull the logs out of the image?

·
Registered
702 Posts
I haven't enabled my replaytv on my 4000 and haven't done anything to it except set it up to record a few test shows. Tell me what to do, and I'll do it. At this point I don't know how to extract files from the replay (is that a relative path for http?) (not a technical knowledge problem, more a haven't had time to read up on replay hacking problem)

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ijprest -- thanks, but at this point, just 4000s -- given the SysLogDef.txt file that came with earlier systems, I think I understand them basically completely.

Alch -- thank you, too, but I have enough from on-disk now -- I just want to double/triple check that everything I'm seeing in mine also happens on unhacked units; I think I may have turned something on accidentally.

Foundation -- great! What I'm interested in now isn't what's on the Replay, but what it sends to Replay.

If you're using a hub between the Replay, a computer, and your firewall/broadband router, then the computer should be able to sniff the packets. If your firewall/broadband router IS a computer, then it definitely can. If you're using a switch instead of a hub, that's a problem (it can be worked around, but it'd be more work than I'd want to ask).

On the computer, run a packet sniffer, logging to a file, filtering on the addresses 64.124.73.105 and 64.124.80.10; either leave it running for a day or so, or force a net connect on the replay (I'd prefer the first -- I'd like a full day's log).

After the net connect, stop the sniffing and either send me the whole file (easiest for you, and okay if you trust me, but might be more info than you want to give away if you don't), pick out the body sent in the http request for /cgi-bin/2.0/putsyslog.pl.

If you're using a unix/linux machine, then tcpdump is probably already installed, and (as root) 'tcpdump -w tcp.out "host 192.168.117.5 or host 192.168.117.6"' will do it. If you're running Windows, you'll probably need to download something; ethereal is available for Windows ( http://www.ethereal.com/download.html#binaries ) but there are others. I'll give directions for ethereal because it's what I've used before (but I'm going from memory...I'll double check later)

start it up, select capture/start, and there should be a filter button. click it, and there'll be a Capture Filter dialog. In the 'filter string' textbox, type "host 192.168.117.5 or host 192.168.117.6", press ok, fill in a filename in the capture box, and press okay again, and you're capturing.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great, thanks!

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nope, that'd be just fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status