Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All!

I want to be able to do the following (with good fidelity):

1: Watch cable tv with up to 5.1 sound
2: Watch dvds and blu-rays with up to 5.1 sound
3: Listen to cds with up to 5.1 sound
4: Listen to LPs
5: Listen to music from cable channels

If I own the following, what else will I need?
1: Oppo 103
2: 5 channel power amp
3: Turn table
4: Cable box
5: TV
6: Phono preamp
7: 5 speakers and a sub

Like I said, what else will I need? How would I balance the speakers? Is there any way to do room correction with this setup?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll answer my own question. Oppo suggests NOT using their universal disc player as a preamp/processor. So, I'll be getting an AVR instead of an amp.

So, given the features on the Oppo 103, and the list of things I want to do, what AVR features will not be important as a result of having the 103? In other words, what Oppo 103 features are duplicated in AVRs?

·
The Village Idiot
9,715 Posts
I use my 103 for movies with the center and surround preamp out jacks going directly to the amp. The front R/L jacks go to my preamp which has home theater bypass. You will need to enable the internal analog volume control first or you will get full volume. I see no need for an AVR for myself - YMMV. If Oppo is saying they don't recommend it its probably a CYA answer on their part. It works perfectly fine. I don't see how you can connect a phonograph to it though. For that you'd need at the least a stereo preamp.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts