AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I'm building/filling out an existing system.

Starting third year in college, rooming with three other guys.

Our apartment has a living room that is 15'x14', with very high ceilings (~20').

Currently I have a couple of bookshelves from AV123 (X-Series Bookshelves), and am looking to fill out the system a little. I also have a Harmon/Kardon AVR 55, which I've been using for a couple of years now without issue.

Budget is $300-600 or so. System will be primarily used for gaming, movies/anime, and some music listening (mostly for background).

I'm worried about the very high ceilings, and what kind of a system I need to account for high ceilings.

Any opinions on a building a system under these kinds of constraints?

I was thinking I'd move my bookshelves to the back, and try and get a pair of floorstanding fronts and a center (not sure if I want a sub).

Thanks!

-Rikkimaru

·
Registered
153 Posts
hey...never hear your speakers. I'm not going to lie and say I would rock them, but your in college.

I would just sell those speakers if you can and buy some paradigm atom monitors for 300/pair or go with some B&W 685 600/pair.

Be careful about sharing funds with others in the house you don't want a battle over who is keeping them.

The recommendations I have made are if you are serious about audio quality and plan to use them in a system in the future. Both would be good started speakers that you could add others too later.

·
Registered
672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikkimaru /forum/post/16982355

Budget is $300-600 or so. System will be primarily used for gaming, movies/anime, and some music listening (mostly for background).

The first thing that came to mind was some nice big JBL floor standers for fronts and a matching center. For some reason JBL and college just seem to go together... But then I remembered what college was like...with the drinking and the horseplay and the foolishness and the vomit... It would be a shame to buy some nice speakers and come home to find them trashed or set on fire or stolen or puked on...

So I think this is a perfect job for Craigslist! See what kind of used stuff you can find and spend as little as possible. Just on the gulf coast there's a ton of JBL floor standers for sale for under $200. I imagine if you used your X-LS's as rears you could do the whole thing for under $300 between Craigslist and eBay...

Happy hunting.

Jason

1 - 3 of 3 Posts