Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Asus A7n8x Dlx rev. 1.06 with BIOS 1007

XP Pro

My system clock runs fast to the tune of about 7 minutes a week. I have it set to synch up with the nist.gov site once a week (can't do it any more frequently in xp pro). I noticed this when my tv and hdtv recordings were starting before the program began and cutting out early. Very irritating and an utterly bizarre problem I've never heard of and I havn't found anything on the web about it.

Any ideas for a solution? I don't know if the system clock is at the bios level or what.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Hmmmm.... That is strange...

I'd try flashing new BIOS and replacing the battery....

If that doesn't help, I'd chalk it up as a screwy motherboard....

Good luck!

-Ryan

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll give that a try. The mb is only a year old so the problem is both strange and very irritating.

A7n8x Dlx users, what is the best/easiest/most foolproof way to flash the bios? I flashed it last time using the Asus software utility. Is this perhaps not the most reliable method? It was very easy which was nice...

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Why not just have the clock set for you. If the HTPC is connected to the internet, then use one of the atomic clock applications. Depending upon your OS, you might also just be able to hook up to a time server.

Either way you should be able to set the update interval to your liking (daily, hourly, etc).

·
Registered
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jkaiser
Why not just have the clock set for you. If the HTPC is connected to the internet, then use one of the atomic clock applications. Depending upon your OS, you might also just be able to hook up to a time server.

Either way you should be able to set the update interval to your liking (daily, hourly, etc).
Maybe I wasn't clear--that's exactly what I posted instructions for [the instructions I gave are specific to WinXP, but I would guess that they probably work the same for other recent MS operating systems].

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I ran into this on two A7N8X boards. Asus tech support of course was not helpful. I cleared the cmos and run "abouttime" with it updating the clock every hour.

Not an ideal solution but it works.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A giant public "thank you" richierich. I think I'll skip reinstalling my BIOS for now, since everything else works and I don't want to cause further problems. Maybe things have changed, but I know it used to be pretty easy to fry a board flashing BIOS. Hourly checkups should suffice.

Very interesting to hear other A7n8x boards have the same problem. For as popular as Asus is, it's a shame their support sight is so terrible.

AVS saves the day again!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.