AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello...My enquiry is extremely unorthadox I know. But my current system is a combination of stuff I already owned or was able to aquire very reasonable and in great condition. Add to that I am very nastalgic by nature and somehow that justifies where I am at with my 2 channel set-up.

Speakers are excellant condition Polk SDA-2's. They are powered by twin Rotels 980BX's run in mono mode. Nearly 100% of my listening is via CD's through a Marantz 65se I purchased new years ago. Pre/tuner is Rotel RTC940AX.

My listening environment is a 22x35 hearth room. Not optimal by any means and your basic family contents of furniture, rugs, and wood floors. Having said that, it is a pleasing listening experience for the family and not intended to be or have audiophile grade results. Not that I do not want to maximize its potential and am currently reading up on palatable measures that will pass the wife test.

I thought it would be interesting to hear any insight from those on this board with alot of system history as to how my build appears concerning equipment balance. I have a desire to step into this century and become familiar with a DAC or preamp to enable using lossless or Flak files but am unsure if what is available would integrate with my current build and be reasonable cost wise.

Sorta of a "over the phone" mechanical diagnosis for those willing to take a few minutes.
TIA

·
Registered
256 Posts
If you still have an open pair of analog inputs on your preamp, your system is balanced and ready to go for digital music files!

Unless you are interested in the limited number of very high bitrate downloads available or intend to rip vinyl at much higher than CD quality resolution, the additional hardware needed is the easiest part of the upgrade.

You can add a streaming device like Squeezebox to your home network or add a dedicated "audio" PC/Mac and DAC.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts