AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a receiver, speaker, blue ray (or PS3) combo for around $1500 or less. I will be using it for probably 70% TV and movies and 30% music. I would like to be able to stream from Netflix. So far the receivers I’m considering are the Onkyo HT RC180, Onkyo TX SR707, and the Yamaha RX-V765. Those are probably better than I could appreciate.

For speakers I’m considering the Mordaunt Short Alumni set,Infinity Primus Theater Pack II, or DT Procinema 800/1000s. I’m putting this setup in a fairly large very open family room. Couch is about 12 feet back from TV/wall. Family room is only separated by some islands from the kitchen directly behind for a total of 26x22 ft. Also there is a large foyer and two sort of half wall pass throughs to the living room and dining room that constitute a space nearly as large as the other. Ceilings are 10 ft. Lots of air to move. I’d like to avoid towers (small kids around). I have built in shelving to both sides of my flat screen. Also I could wall mount. There’s a kitchen island about 4 feet behind my couch where I could mount some on or inside the wall rear speakers. I’d like to keep all the speakers fairly inconspicuous. White speakers would look best but I suppose I could always paint whatever I get.

I seem to be in an AV wasteland in Jacksonville, FL so I’ll probably buy online without even hearing what I buy. I’m not sure that matters since I’m so new to this and probably wouldn’t appreciate quality if I heard it. Any thoughts? From what I’m reading I may be overdoing the AVR and underdoing the speakers.

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts
You can stream Netflix on a PS3.

The ratio of speaker $s spent to AVR $s spent should be around 3:1 but obviously you can do as you wish. The logic is you will realize more sound quality from speaker $s spent than AVR $s spent.

Thats a large room to fill with sound - but not impossible. I'm going to do something I rarely do - recommend you look at Klipsch or some other speaker with similar high sensitivity such as Bic America . This will allow you to get more sound out of a lower priced AVR such as an Onkyo SR507 or Denon 590/1610.

You didn't mention a sub. If you are going with bookshelf speakers you should consider a subwoofer.

·
Registered
398 Posts
For a budget of $1500, or less, you must be finding some serious discounts for some of the equipment you're considering. That is, the Mordaunt Short Alumnis run over $1400 alone. Add a decent Blu-ray, or PS3, at $150 to $300 and you're up to $1550 to $1700. And we haven't even talked about the cost of an AVR yet!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am planning on getting a sub. Probably something like the HSU STF-2 which I can get for just over $300.

·
Registered
999 Posts
You might want to look on saturdayaudio.com and take a look at Monitor Audio's Radius Series. As far as the sub,that's important so might might consider (if you can) doubling the sub budget,especially for that size of a room.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts